Which do you like better: WD-40 or PB Blaster?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Kroil get it from Kanolabs
the stuff cannot be beat. This is the stuff you buy if you REALLY need to get something apart WD 40 is a good rust preventer, that's what it was designed for, and that's about all it's good for, Pblaster...well I have yet to figure out what that stuff is good for aside from lightening your wallet.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
WD evaporates in a couple of days. Penetro will keep a light coat of protectant for months.
Another tip is to spray any nut/bolt susceptible to rust with a coating of Chain Lube. It'll put a wax type coating on it that'll last a year, or longer.

DeadMan

Reaction score
I use DeepCreep from Seafoam.. Great stuff. Either that or a 50/50 blend of 30wt and ATF.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Of the two choices, PB blaster hands down. Stuff smells awful, but works fairly well. I have three sets of torches, so for rusted on stuff, I use heat 99% of the time. In the machine shop I was taught to NEVER douse a hot part with anything, to let it cool then hit it with something (opinions on that differed from water to cutting oil).

For tapping and such, neither...both suck. Cutting oil is the only way to go.

galute

Reaction score
If you can heat the nut some then spray it with PB while it's hot the cooling effect will cause the penetrant to be sucked into the threads. Works 99% of the time for me.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I Perfer PB for anything useful. The only thing I use WD for is short term rust prevention, or squeaky hinges.

I have the best luck using PB, then heat, then PB again. A 3/8" impact wil a nice long, springy extension.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When you use heat, the different rates of expansion cause the nut/plug/bolt to "break" the seal it has via rust. After seeing someone who has done this for 20+ years do it, I found I just wasn't using enough heat. Engine plugs that want to twist a 1/2 breaker bar will thread out easily, no lube required. Just heat the plug to dull glow, let it cool...doesn't have to be cool to touch or anything, but the expansion and contraction will break the item free. Worked everytime in the machine shop, and believe me, we pulled a lot of "stuck" stuff out!

sassyrel

Reaction score
kroil--been using it for mutiple years!!!!! never tried the wurth products, but there aint no comparison between pb and kroil----

discbrks

Reaction score
Well I dug up an old can of PB and soaked all the bolts/nuts this morning. Let 'em sit for about 30 minutes and hit them with an impact.... they all came loose (to my amazement)! Just glad that there wasn't any broken bolts. But I think I will order some of that Kroil for the future.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea ive been soaking the manifold bolts with PB blaster on my truck for a few weeks now. does anyone know what size socket the bolts on the manifolds are? mine are so rusted i can't get anything to fit good on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online