Which additive for the 7.3 IDI?

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering which particular brand additive was best for the 7.3 IDI? I'm new to diesels, so I wasn't sure if certain additives were formulated for newer diesels or if mattered? My local auto parts store carries Power Service and SeaFoam. Either one any good?

Just changed out my glow plugs and its firing up fine now without ether. But it sometimes takes 5-6 seconds. Thought an additive might help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Additives are one of those things where you can ask 5 different people and get 5 different answers. Power Service (Diesel Kleen) is a popular one mainly because you can find it just about everywhere. Howe's is another popular one for the same reason. Some swear by using Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) or 2-stroke oil because they (allegedly) do the same job for much cheaper. Here's a study that a lot of people like to use as a reference: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

I guess I'm not understanding what you mean when you say it's 'firing up fine now' but then say it 'takes 5-6 seconds'. Do you mean it takes 5-6 seconds of cranking? Is it only like this when it's cold, or all the time, or.......? Regardless, I'm not sure an additive is going to do much for a starting problem. If you're having to crank that long every time but it runs fine once you get started, my guess is air intrusion of some kind.

Mike

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search here for additives; there are many posts and links to an extensive study done on common additives. Your question about additives should be specific about what you are trying to fix (water, lubricity, gelling); that quickly narrows down your choices.
If you are looking for general recommendations, I recommend biodiesel for lubricity if you can get it. I run 2 - 5%.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purely a subjective topic...
However I'v heard good things about Stanadyne additive! I'd suggest PM the pump Guru Mel or Agnem as he's known here and ask him his opinion, seeing he rebuilds IP for a living!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking you are asking what additive is best for the oil but not sure. What Mel is directing you to is what gose in the fuel. Personally I use the syanadyne Performance formula at 4 to 6 ozs in every tank. Some claim its ok to add that much to every other fill up but I use it every fill up. Some like to replace the fuel filters and prefill them with atf. Just make sure its added to the OUTSIDE ring of holes in the filter. Pouring it into the big center hole is not using the filter and any dirt that goes in will end up in the pump ruining it. Do that with the oil filter prefill too so the engine isn't running too long trying to fill the mt oil filter. Small things like this saves our engines from more wear than necessary.