Where's the clutch switch?

Reaction score
The truck has slowly developed this annoying trait where I occasionally have to slam the clutch to the floor to get it to turn over. I don't think it's firewall flex as the truck drives fine otherwise. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch position sensor, so I ordered one up from RockAuto (Motorcraft, of course). I peeked my head under the dash for a quick second and couldn't find the sensor. PLEASE tell me it's somewhere that's somewhat easy to find and get at.....

Mike

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's mounted on the clutch master cylinder actuator rod. Under the dash, high up, between the brake pedal and gas pedal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They're not too bad to change once you figure out how it comes off. Lol

Play with the new one first to figure it out.

Also take a peak at the rod bushing.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread but does anybody know what the switch is that the clutch pushes when it's all the way up? My pedal does not come all the way up so it's never in so it can't be inportant. But I'm curious as to what it is.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread but does anybody know what the switch is that the clutch pushes when it's all the way up? My pedal does not come all the way up so it's never in so it can't be inportant. But I'm curious as to what it is.
Switch that cancels cruise when you step on the clutch.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you mess around with that, my truck also recently developed the SAME ANNOYING TRAIT!!!

First start of the day i would have to SLAM it into first, rest of the gears worked alright. had to slam it to the floor to start it also.

My slave cylinder res was almost empty! Not sure where the fluid was leaking because there were no puddles or annything, but keeping a close eye on it now

Check yours before you mess around with switches. other gears worked ok, just first was bad when I first started the truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check fluids,

Check the pushrod actuating arm bushing...I did a tech 101 on replacement of a worn arm

It is not LIKELY the switch, it's likely a worn bushing and pin on the actuating arm. This makes it seem like the switch is not functioning when in fact the clutch is not pressing in enough to make the switch function as it should.

Here you can see the arm is worn out.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?62040-Tech-101-Clutch-ARM-replacement&highlight=

Hope that helps,

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the cruise control cancel switch... On my 89 E4OD trans rig its located on the brake peddle because I don't have a clutch peddle. On my 79 chevy rig this is also on the brake peddle and its a vacuum switch..

Reaction score
Checked the fluid. It was full. I tried topping it off, but everything I put in came out when I put the little bladder back in.

Found the switch, too. I was looking over near the clutch pedal itself. Didn't realize it was more towards the throttle. I don't want to bypass it at the moment, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for if/when it ever leaves me stranded.

I'll check the rod and whatnot when I replace the sensor.

Mike

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked the fluid. It was full. I tried topping it off, but everything I put in came out when I put the little bladder back in.

Found the switch, too. I was looking over near the clutch pedal itself. Didn't realize it was more towards the throttle. I don't want to bypass it at the moment, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for if/when it ever leaves me stranded.

I'll check the rod and whatnot when I replace the sensor.

Mike

Check the Rod and bushing now...no need to replace switch if bushing is shot and pin shot...likely the problem not the switch...

JM2CW

having done lots of work on these, those two parts are the key for most part

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online