where would i find a 7.3 block

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Head gasket is a little over .080 thick with rubber inserts at the water jacket ports. If you use the flat block and sand paper trick to finish the surface off on both the block and the heads clean the surface good with break clean you will be fine....The gasket will fill in the small imperfections like its supposed to. If you are still afraid of it leaking put some liquid high tack around the water jackets....I used that same sand paper and flat block trick on my engines for years.. Used it on my 7.3 just this summer....

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The flat block sanding trick is nothing new, been doing that for 35 years. I go two ways on this. If this is an engine repair, then surface the heads, clean up the block and go for it. PROVIDED there is NO imperfections in the fire ring that seals the compression. BUT if this is a rebuild with a long expected life, why not deck the block. Heck when these engines came out you weren't supposed to surface the heads! If the block needs decked, the piston protrusion needs to be set up that is all. I have decked the block in my 6.9 once every 250,000 miles! First time the pistons were still cherry so I had to cut the piston tops to keep protrusion in check. This time it was a total rebuild, so I ordered reduced deck height pistons. One should check out the valve train, you could get a stack up of the pushrods being effectively longer and valves sunk into heads, but mine was OK.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too bad you aren't in or close to FL, i am about to pull my engine for a cummins swap..engine runs well, got a few people interested in the baby moose, bb injectors , and turbo.. the rest will probably end up getting scrapped.. from what i understand these things weigh a lot so shipping probably wouldn't be worth the cost..

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if u know of any and could pass on the info that would be great i've been searching everywhere craigslist, ebay, and other websites that claim to have one and dont[/QUOTE

I don't know your location , but if Kentucky isn't too far to drive pm me and I'll give you the number of a friend of mine, he's got a few

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online