Where to get new battery terminals?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
So my passenger side positive terminal no longer clamps tight to the battery post. This is the terminal that has the large wire that runs between the two batteries on one side, and out to the starter, and the GPR on the other.

I have NEVER seen a double sided battery post in a auto parts store, and just to be sure I checked Auto-zone, Napa, and the tractor supply. NOTHING!

I suppose my next guess is to head to the Napa distribution center in Denver, and see what they got....

Thanks for any and all help!

PZ

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I love these.... never again will a bad lead terminal wreck your cables. ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love these.... never again will a bad lead terminal wreck your cables. ;Sweet

If you are into lead posts, that is about as good as it gets.

Here is a source :

http://saturnsurplus.com/electrical/btermp.htm

Note that there is a POSITIVE and a NEGATIVE part-number; one is slightly larger than the other.

As far as that stupid middle of the cable terminal, CUT that thing carefully out of the cable, saving as much cable as possible.

THEN, crimp copper eyelet/lug terminals onto both cut ends of the cable.

Now, you can attach both copper lugs onto either one of the pictured military terminals, or a marine adapter terminal.

There is no good reason whatsoever for that factory cable being one single unit.

Far better that it be two separate cables.

Does any of what I said make sense. :dunno

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
my napa store carries these type of terminals. with moving my batteries to 1 side i made all new cables. They come in all different sizes of cable and many different configurations. I like the solder on ones because it gives it a nice clean finish.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm due for new clamp ends too...HOWEVER...I'm also sure there's corrosion creeping up under the 'cracking' OE sleeve.:puke:
Sooooo, if it's an inch or so, I doubt the cable is long enough to cut back into some 'healthy' wire. :dunno
And, how beneficial are new clamps on a corroded cable end? ;Really

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, how beneficial are new clamps on a corroded cable end? ;Really

If the strands are just turning green, that is natural, especially for copper that is exposed to air.

It is when they turn to red powder that you need to be replacing them.

Trim back the insulation far enough to make the crimp, clean and shine up the strands by holding them to a wire-wheel on a bench-grinder, and they will come away looking like new.

Fill the copper-lug socket with Vaseline and massage as much Vaseline into the copper strands as you can, THEN make a very tight crimp, two if one isn't quite big enough.

I have cleaned up old green-covered cables and crimped them thus and still going strong. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add ...

Don't panic about plain old battery corrosion; it will clean up and you will never know it had been there.

Just be sure not to breathe the dust when using the wire-wheel on it, and wear protective eye gear. ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above battery clamps are called military style clamps. I bought them from Wrangler Electronics in Portland Oregon. I also bought the solder on lugs and went at it... They work fine and yes... The negative and possitive are differant parts.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online