Where to get an original starter rebuilt?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare 2000 7.3 starter that needs rebuilding. The local rebuilder doesn't have a good reputation.

Does the forum have a favorite rebuilder to recommend? My understanding is that the OE starter is stronger than the chinesium replacements in parts stores now.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There os a good place on billings Montana I'll see if I can find their number
Also on my phone ypur profile pic looks like bill Clinton

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re still in central Texas there’s a number of good small shops. A couple in Waco last time I was there, Austin has a couple on the east side if I remember correctly, Houston has a bunch in south Houston, College Station/Bryan has a good one, in fact that one used to sell a special built one for these trucks that used the motor from a Cummins starter with our bendix. I don’t know much about the San Antonio area but Wes from CDD does, he might have a suggestion if you get a hold of him. Not sure how close any of these places are to you but let me know a area you frequent and I’ll try to remember a name or two to try.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That and a big sagging shelf of alternator and starter carcasses behind the front counter exactly describes the shop I’ve used several times here in my area. And years later all their rebuilds are still going.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lost this thread because I didn't click watch when I posted it. Doh. Thanks for all the info, gentlemen.

Thanks for the tip in Bryan, we have a daughter who lives there so it's convenient in that she can bring it back for Christmas, and they are Aggies to boot. I just spoke with Billy at BCS Alternator & Starter Services (979)775-9470 and struck a deal to send him the rebuilt starter that came in my E99, so he can check it out and see if it's worth rebuilding. If it's chinesium then I'll give it to him for a core, if he wants it. The PO died suddenly which is why that 550 got put up for sale, so I can't ask him why it had PM rods in it, why he lengthened the frame 24", and if that starter is a good one or not. But it did crap out on me...the motor and the starter.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There os a good place on billings Montana I'll see if I can find their number
Also on my phone ypur profile pic looks like bill Clinton

Yes, that is my hero Slick Willy. lol. Hitlary did that to him.
Billings is a great place, been there, and I enjoyed Montana. But Texas is closer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight