Where to find radiator supports?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I'm in salt country and consequently I need a radiator support. Mine is still holding, but the plan is to pull the engine at some point this summer, and the radiator support is among the related projects to accomplish.

Thanks

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Junkyard. I've heard of some people cutting and splicing one from a gasser but don't know enough about fitment to help you there

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Almost every wrecking yeard here in Cali has one sitting there. Usually they go to the crusher because nobody wants them. Rust free too.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost every wrecking yeard here in Cali has one sitting there. Usually they go to the crusher because nobody wants them. Rust free too.

That's interesting Gary, here in the NorthWest the diesel specific core supports usually go fast and/or bring a premium as people usually know that they aren't the same as the gasser unit.

I welded lots of crusty core supports to get somebody thru winter when I lived in Cleveland. I would never repair one now, however, the tough part is that there's probably a pretty good distance between Central Indiana and the closest salt free diesel specific core support, and the size and shape usually makes these things difficult (read expensive) to ship.

I miss the people back in the MidWest, but I definitely don't miss the rust........

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...how much are they worth? I think there's some 'round these parts. I know I can find early core supports and I'm pretty sure I can find late ones.

My local yards have 6.9s they will break up, 7.3s they want to sell complete, and they're in trucks whose bodies are more or less complete. Nocal over two mountain ranges, typically no rust but no guarantees sight unseen.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 OBS and one brick nose rad supports sitting here in stock.

175.00 + shipping from 98844

jhenegh

Reaction score
Alright so it looks like California and Al are my options.

Hmm...

Any guesses on how to ship these bears? Slap the sticker on and call the brown truck?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ship wrapped in cardboard and wrapped in shrink wrap. I can provide measurements and calculated weight as well and you can check shipping from
98844 Oroville WA. $10.75 for borer crossing fee for commercial use. Anything I sell I have to claim thus I charge the fee I must pay to cross border to keep shipping costs managable!

jhenegh

Reaction score
Ya shoot some dimensions/weight my way and I'll see what I can come up with. Sister is flying from Seattle to Indiana for Easter in two weeks... Checked baggage!!??

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fastenal is pretty reasonable for store to store shipping. They quoted me $275 to ship a 12 valve cummins from TN to AZ, core support would hopefully be a lot less. I see some rust free core supports here in AZ, got one last year for my truck for $40. The yard near me doesn't have many diesels though. I am going to see family in KY likely in December, I keep thinking I should collect a bunch of random rust free parts and sell on craigslist, might pay my fuel and make a bunch of guys happy with rust free parts.