When do you throw in the towel?? 6.9 woes

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it all comes down to the truck. My truck is pretty cherry so if the motor went in it to me it would be worth a new one cause I don't plan to sell it.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Well the deal is made, I just have to go get the 5.9. It's working out for both parties, he needs/wants a set of axles I have and I'd like to have the engine, so both parties should be pleased. I like doing business this way. I'm stoked to find one so quick.
Now can anyone give me a ballpark on what an ole 6.9 is worth? It burns alittle oil, leaks alittle oil, but starts and runs sofar everytime i've needed it to. It's got new injectors, glowplugs, fuel return lines, and I just rebuilt the starter. I'm gonna wait to pull it so any potential buyer can really see it in action.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What model 5.9 cummins? Your engine could be worth $500, but I dont really know how much they cost, somebody should chime in though.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
GEN I, 94 or 95 year model, I can't remeber what the fellow told me. I'll find out when i bring it home

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the deal is made, I just have to go get the 5.9. It's working out for both parties, he needs/wants a set of axles I have and I'd like to have the engine, so both parties should be pleased. I like doing business this way. I'm stoked to find one so quick.
Now can anyone give me a ballpark on what an ole 6.9 is worth? It burns alittle oil, leaks alittle oil, but starts and runs sofar everytime i've needed it to. It's got new injectors, glowplugs, fuel return lines, and I just rebuilt the starter. I'm gonna wait to pull it so any potential buyer can really see it in action.

If they buyer can hear it run, you should be able to get $600 to $1000 for it depending on your market.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GEN I, 94 or 95 year model, I can't remeber what the fellow told me. I'll find out when i bring it home

1st Gen. = 1989-1993, with intercooling starting in 1991.5.

2nd Gen., P-pumped 12-valve, still mechanical, are 1994 to 1998.5.

After 1998.5 = 24-valve electronic junk.

That would be nice to get for it, especially after pricing NV4500 trannys today :eek:

Better to get a Getrag.

Much stronger and they don't lose the fifth-gear nut every few miles.

The Getrag is an actual five-speed; whereas, the NV4500 is a four-speed, with fifth gear hanging off the back.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could adapt the T19 to the Cummins. Of course you'd then for sure have to get some tall rear gears with its lower power band. I'd say a 6.9 in the condition you described at the beginning of this thread is a core. Its worth about 500-600 bucks in that shape. A little better and you might get closer to the 1000 figure. You seemed to say it was low on power and went through oil like it was going out of style IIRC.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could adapt the T19 to the Cummins. Of course you'd then for sure have to get some tall rear gears with its lower power band. ...

Lower power band? How come every Cummins 5.9 I've ever seen make any real horsepower has to be wound out to warp 10? LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could adapt the T19 to the Cummins.

Other than being completely anemic, I believe the worst thing about my truck in it's previous life was that T-19.

Granted, it never had a screw turned on it in over 500,000 miles; but, 1st gear was about equivalent to 3rd in most other 4-speeds I ever drove, making for lots of clutch-slipping take-offs and stalling out on bad hills; and, the lack of an over-drive gear behind a diesel prevented any real good highway mileage figures.

The gearing of a T-19 is a lot more suited for wheel-spinning punks, than for a work truck.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a wheel spinning punk compared to you I guess. My truck is more of a DD and boat towing/firewood hauling truck. It'll NEVER see the loads you subjected your truck to I'm sure. Did you have the 12" or 11" disk on it? Does it matter? Anyway with that being said I guess he wouldn't want to adapt the T19...how about a ZF5? Would fit in real easy where the T19 lived and he might could get a cheap one?

Hillbilly

Reaction score
1st Gen. = 1989-1993, with intercooling starting in 1991.5.

2nd Gen., P-pumped 12-valve, still mechanical, are 1994 to 1998.5.

After 1998.5 = 24-valve electronic junk.

Better to get a Getrag.

Much stronger and they don't lose the fifth-gear nut every few miles.

The Getrag is an actual five-speed; whereas, the NV4500 is a four-speed, with fifth gear hanging off the back.

That's good to know, I've been calling it the wrong thing then. It's out of a 94-95 model.

Everything I have heard and read says the opposite of that about the getrag. That's good to hear though, they have a bad rap around here. So maybe I can find one at a good price then.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I have heard and read says the opposite of that about the getrag. That's good to hear though, they have a bad rap around here. So maybe I can find one at a good price then.

Three things combined to give the Getrag a bad reputation.

In the early 90s, Chrysler let a bunch of improperly assembled units get on the road, causing a rash of failures on nearly new trucks.

Also, the Getrag requires 5W-30 engine-oil, NOT 90-WT gear-oil; there are some tiny orifices that cold gear-oil will not penetrate sufficiently for proper lubrication, thus causing premature failure.

Third, and most neglected, is that the factory fill-plug only allows 3-1/2 qts of oil; whereas, over-filling to FIVE quarts full-synthetic will greatly extend the life and well-being of the transmission.

One other point:

These are TRUCK transmissions, not quick-shifting play-toy transmissions.

When driven and treated like a truck, they will give many hundreds of thousands of miles of reliable service; they don't take too kindly to quick shifts and ripping through the gears.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Other than being completely anemic, I believe the worst thing about my truck in it's previous life was that T-19."

Does this tranny not have a granny gear? I really think it was the engine dying not the tranny's fault. We used my old 6.9 to tow a diesel HJ-60 and BJ-60 Landcruiser (one at a time) back from Canada and while the old 6.9 spits, ****** and drinks oil she would still tow the Landcruiser up hill at 50 without down shifting. I think you engine was really just on its last legs.

That being said I have now fixed a lot of the oil leaks, we had bought the truck specifically to tow the Landcruisers. But at possibly $1000 for a dogged out engine I guess I got a pretty good deal at $1700 for my truck.

Good luck with the Cummins swap, with your luck you might be able to find a tranny a lot cheaper than you think. I mean $1200 for a ****** engine is a steal.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Well i got the 5.9 home and into the shop lastnight. I still gotta unload it and get it on a stand. I'm kinda on hold for the time being, till I get an offer on the 6.9. I hate to pull and it not let the new owner hear/see it run. I can't wait to get started, but have a long list of things to get done before I turn the first bolt.