Wheel, suspension, and Dana 60 questions

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of what I think are factory wheels for my 97. They have around a 5.4" offset which is what my research has led me to believe the cab and chassis trucks came with, and is the largest offset available in factory wheels. They appear to be hub centric, I put two on my rear axle for fitment and the inside one was a little hard to get off - definitely a snug fit. However, they also appear to be set up for lug centric as well - see the picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

The lugnuts in this picture look to be really strong. Will they work with these wheels? I can't just take a lugnut off this truck - its not mine.

Finally, the Dana 60 has a horizontal shock on it, but my 94 doesn't. But my 94 has a big wierd looking bar thing that I have never understood the purpose of. So, is this thing necessary on my 97? I see where the brackets are for one, but its missing. If you've been reading my build thread you'll see what I'm not at all surprised to find missing parts on this truck.

There is another eye on the 97 that isn't on the 94, I don't know what it might be for. I circled it and the end of the shock.

There are only 4 leaf springs and an overload on my 97. My 94 has 5 and an overload. I would expect the dually to have more. With the flatbed its already sitting slightly on the overloads. I don't figure this is a problem, as it will make for better ride, and if I start hauling heavy I can always do airbags or get a stouter spring pack.

Finally, the axle to lift block adapter/spacer thing on the 97 is welded on. It doesn't appear to be welded on my 94 or my 85 pickup trailer. Are they attached in any way, or is there any good reason it would be welded?

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That big weird thing you highlighted in green is a sway bar. It helps reduce body roll

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
As far as the axle is concerned, the horizontal shock is a steering damper which in theory absorbs some of the shocks from the wheels/steering the big horizontal bar as stated is a sway bar (aka anti roll bar) to help minimize body roll. As far as the lift blocks my guess is a previous owner decided to weld them on for whatever reason. Frankly theres exactly 0 reasons to do so as the u-bolts and leaf spring hold it in place.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of what I think are factory wheels for my 97. They have around a 5.4" offset which is what my research has led me to believe the cab and chassis trucks came with, and is the largest offset available in factory wheels. They appear to be hub centric, I put two on my rear axle for fitment and the inside one was a little hard to get off - definitely a snug fit. However, they also appear to be set up for lug centric as well - see the picture.
That is a Dodge wheel. It has no business on your Ford. Ford wheels have flat flanges where they mate to the hubs. Even if you somehow make them work on the rear there is no way they will work on the front. A member recently went thru the same ordeal, he had one Dodge wheel on the front axle and it was a wobbly drive IIRC.

The lugnuts in this picture look to be really strong. Will they work with these wheels? I can't just take a lugnut off this truck - its not mine.
These look like the correct lugnuts for a Ford truck and wheel. They may work with the Dodge wheels you have, but since wheels won't sit right on the front hubs it's a moot point even trying it.

Finally, the Dana 60 has a horizontal shock on it, but my 94 doesn't. But my 94 has a big wierd looking bar thing that I have never understood the purpose of. So, is this thing necessary on my 97? I see where the brackets are for one, but its missing. If you've been reading my build thread you'll see what I'm not at all surprised to find missing parts on this truck.
This is the front swaybar. Whether you need it or not only you can decide. If you gonna run at interstate speeds a lot it's a good thing to have. For a farm truck or something that often sees unpaved roads, it may be a hindrance.

There is another eye on the 97 that isn't on the 94, I don't know what it might be for. I circled it and the end of the shock.
Factory mount for the steering damper. Or at least that's the purpose it serves on our Jeep thing. It will serve the same purpose in my truck as well. Hanging the shock down below the axle like your picture shows it is a poor choice, it can get banged up pretty bad if you run over something. I'd move it up to the higher mounting ear, and rotate the bracket on the other end damper sits horizontal between the center link and the axle tube, and not below them like it is now.

Finally, the axle to lift block adapter/spacer thing on the 97 is welded on. It doesn't appear to be welded on my 94 or my 85 pickup trailer. Are they attached in any way, or is there any good reason it would be welded?
The lift blocks are not what's welded. What is welded are the spring perches. Maybe the axle is not correct for the truck and required moving the perches. They also appear too narrow for the springs that ride on them. Or the lift block is too wide. Some rigging going on there IMHO. They are welded on from the factory also, but the welds look much nicer.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a Dodge wheel. It has no business on your Ford. Ford wheels have flat flanges where they mate to the hubs. Even if you somehow make them work on the rear there is no way they will work on the front. A member recently went thru the same ordeal, he had one Dodge wheel on the front axle and it was a wobbly drive IIRC.

These look like the correct lugnuts for a Ford truck and wheel. They may work with the Dodge wheels you have, but since wheels won't sit right on the front hubs it's a moot point even trying it.

I pulled a front wheel off my truck and unfortunately you're right :frustrate:frustrate:frustrate There are no recessed areas around the studs for the raised lip of the wheel face to fit into. However, the hub diameter appears to be perfect for the wheel, so if I were to grind off the raised lips, and use lugnuts as pictured above, would that work? I'll still look for correct, factory wheels, but if I haven't found them when its time to get rid of the 17s that are currently on it I may try it. I figure the hub is piloting the wheel, and all the lugnuts then have to do is clamp it all together, not center anything. Maybe I'm way wrong though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you are correct, all the hub does is center the wheel so you don't have a radial wobble, it's the clamping force by the studs that carries all the weight. However I'd highly recommend that you find the correct wheels, at least for the front axle. If you grind down the raised lips you're making the wheel much thinner in that area, possibly creating yourself a safety hazard. Not worth your life IMHO.