Wheel spacers?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to lift my truck and my wheels and tires are on the way. But with that being said I'm going to be running amp tires 35x12.5r18 with the wheels being moto metals 18s with a negative 44 offset. But the rear tires stick in way more then my fronts. My question is how do I get the rear out to match my fronts? Would wheels spaces be a good idea?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For one of these trucks, I would have to say no. That’s just my .02 though. Some might think otherwise.
Especially if you plan on using your truck as it was intended for, I wouldn’t trust wheel spacers. Many tire shops won’t even install them nowadays. Spacers put an extra load on the wheel bearings and introduce a weak link in the wheel assembly.
FYI, I have them on my YJ, but wouldn’t trust them on one of these idi’s.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spacers are not a good idea. Especially if you have a Dana 50 front. If you want your rear to match your front then get rims with more offset in the front

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For one of these trucks, I would have to say no. That’s just my .02 though. Some might think otherwise.
Especially if you plan on using your truck as it was intended for, I wouldn’t trust wheel spacers. Many tire shops won’t even install them nowadays. Spacers put an extra load on the wheel bearings and introduce a weak link in the wheel assembly.
FYI, I have them on my YJ, but wouldn’t trust them on one of these idi’s.

Mainly the pickup is used to pull my 17ft camper a couple times a year and triple axle cargo trailer with snowmobiles in it. My 1999 super duty does the rest.
Depending how wide I wouldn’t be concerned with anything around 1 inch

If I can remember correctly when we measured it was about 2inchs of difference in the rear compared to my fronts.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would buy 1 1/2 spacers and call it good. I’ve ran them before with no issue just be diligent and every now and then check their condition.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would buy 1 1/2 spacers and call it good. I’ve ran them before with no issue just be diligent and every now and then check their condition.

That's what I was thinking. The truck is a full restoration kinda thing.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its not apples to apples but Ive run 1.5" spacers on my ram 3500 van tow rig for 40k+ miles 80% with a 7-10k load behind it. No issues here.

Runningaford

Reaction score
The only experience I've had with spacers, were on my John Deere. I let another fellow use it, and he didn't check wheel lug torques at all; they weren't loose, but weren't tight. He drove the tractor into a hillside to grab a bucket of dirt, and no crap, all lug bolts snapped on both rears. It seriously shocked me, and I guess the moral is have your lugs tight; especially when running spacers; I think having them in there, with lugs that aren't tight, and it creates a shearing motion.