Wheel painting

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of steel wheels which are a rusty white. I would like to make them white again. In the past I have bought Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum wheel paint. I figured the wheel paint might be specially formulated to take the heat, and maybe resist brake dust. This time around I am in a different town, and stuff is harder to get, and I can't find any of the wheel paint. Do I need "wheel" paint or is any metal automotive paint going to do the same job? I was thinking, unless the primer is specially formulated for the heat then it doesn't matter what the paint is, if the primer doesn't stick then the paint won't either.

Additionally, the wheels have a nice blue pinstripe about 1/2" from the edge all the way around. I think this would be nice to re-do, as it would go nicely with my blue and white two tone 88. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do a nice job?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you want heat resistance, get some engine block primer and paint. For the stripe, put together a paint marker (from a hobby shop) and cut a little wooden block that's the distance away from the lip that you want it. Cover it in scotch tape (so it doesn't scratch your new paint), and then tape it to the paint marker. As a finishing touch, use clear coat. Just a suggestion for what I've seen done in the past.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Unless your road racing your truck the heat on the wheels is neligable (sitting in direct sunlight for day would probbly be hotter...)

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I painted the steelies on my '94 F150 before putting the new tires on, they were originally black, and 2 of 'em were rusty.

I sand blasted them real quick, put a rust primer, and painted them white with just some Wal Mart spray can semi gloss white.

Did that before winter, and they still look great! No peeling or rust.

I put 3 coats of white on the outsides, and 2 on the insides.

You must be registered for see images attach

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint wise, I have always had very good luck out of the acrylic enamel Martin Seniour spray paint (NAPA) or Dupli-Color spray paint. These are both packaged/made by Sherwin Williams. They both have the flat fan nozzle that you can turn for a vertical or horizontal spray pattern.

This is a way we like to work on wheels.
A friend of mine has an engine stand for heavy engines with a geared crank for rotating the engine. We made an adapter to bolt wheels to it instead of the engine block. This made it easy to clean-up and sand/scuff the wheels. It also made it easy to paint. We had one person turn the crank and spin the wheel, and another person sand/scuff or paint. This made it easy to paint in one continuous coverage. We started spraying at the center and basically held the spray can still, only moving it in a straight line down from the center to the bottom of the wheel. The wheel was rotated through the paint spray and gave a very even, easy coverage.

This isn't something that most people have, but if you do it can make your wheel refurbishment much easier and the outcome much better.
Even if you don't have a crankable engine stand, a regular stand will work to put the wheel at a good height to work at and the wheel can still be turned easily to give easy access.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
If your going to paint the heels and replace the tires and have some extra cash, I think the way to go would be powder coat them, I could get mine done for about $100.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend the money on dupli color high performance wheel coating. Colors are limited butit comes out amazng on any kind of wheel!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to paint the heels and replace the tires and have some extra cash, I think the way to go would be powder coat them, I could get mine done for about $100.

+1 on powder coating. Powder coating kicks ****, only drawback is it costs more, but you only do it once.

Rotating the wheels is a good way to put paint on them, and a great way to pin stripe them. I like the idea of putting an unmounted wheel on a truck with one side jacked up (and front wheels blocked :D) to apply painted pin striping, but you'd have to play the theme song from McGuyver or maybe the A-Team while you are doing this.......

Good luck bringing the old rusty's back to life, it's harder but more rewarding than buying new stuff ;Sweet

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score

Some wheels if you powder coat them loose strength (mainly alloys) but for a steel wheel powder coatings probbly the best and easiest answer

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I keep getting told if you use Rustoleum's rusty metal primer you better like the color, because it wont hold paint.

Haven't experienced this myself though...

I want to paint my wheels too...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I keep getting told if you use Rustoleum's rusty metal primer you better like the color, because it wont hold paint.

Haven't experienced this myself though...

I want to paint my wheels too...

I've seen several sets done with the Rustoleum Hammer paint and they've held up well so far. The last set I did on the 95 Stroker restoration a couple years ago is holding up really well considering that truck gets worked HARD!;Sweet

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it done, used Dupli Color. This is the 3rd set of wheels I've painted, and came out the best so far. I think they will stay nice the longest too. I broke the bead by driving the front end of my truck up on 2 2x10s resting on the deflated tire, and then prying down with a crowbar (4x4 diesel truck and it still wouldn't break loose). It was pretty easy once I figured it out. Removed wheel weights, hit them with the grinder, primer, paint, new valve stem and 8 ounces airsoft bbs in each tire, seated the bead and back on the road. I tried a pinstripe, but it didn't work out so good so I repainted that wheel and skipped it. Looks nice and rides great. Here is a before and after picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online