Wheel bearings

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i was going through my truck yesterday checking everything out, looks like the drivers side wheel bearing needs to be replaced and the passenger side is not that far behind it.

I was wondering what it takes to swap out these and since im going to be there is there anything else i should be replacing as well?

thanks,
Chris

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't say front or back axle? Both? Your 2WD, so it's going to be real easy no matter what.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new grease seal is needed on the inner bearing side, that's all I can think of.

When you have it apart, suggest checking the shoulder of the spindle where the ID if the inner bearing thrusts against. It can get scored, and need some dressing up with emery and/or a file.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you replace the bearing, be sure to replace the races as well. A set of bearings, races, and new seal properly packed with grease, will probably outlast your truck at this point. ;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bearings, races (some come as a set with both) and seals. Very easy job on a 2wd truck. Hardest/most time consuming part is keeping everything clean and packing the bearings with fresh grease. Do you have a bearing packer? Don't worry if you don't, the palm of your hand works pretty well (some people prefer it actually).

I like this guy's description as his accent is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjGtmHV_4

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this is a stupid question, but what kind of grease do i use? Im going to go out on a limb and guess bearing grease?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this is a stupid question, but what kind of grease do i use? Im going to go out on a limb and guess bearing grease?

THe best you can afford. A quality synthetic will have your hubs running cooler. I go a bit overboard, but I run synthetic racing grease on everything. Cuts the friction WAY down and you will be saving a little on fuel in the long run. Don't use a heavy chassis grease ( or a grease labled heavy duty ), it doesn't flow well and your bearings can actually run dry

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2 multi-purpose that says it's rated bearings used in disc brake applications. I always use synthetic stuff.

Sounds like you haven't done wheel bearings before, if you don't have some type of manual already, best to get one. It often makes you more knowledgeable then someone you would pay. Libraries even have some in my area.