What's up with the censoring

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're making the correct assumptions.
1st Ammendment lost is lost forever.

This forum has been (as long as I remember) extraordinarily "tame".
No need, from my perspective, to censor us.
I agree. Ergo, my assumption.

They haven't done so, so far. And already, many of the words that had been censored, are no longer censored. Including surprisingly, but evidenced above... "ass".

I think the hardcore ones should be left censored. The f word, for example. But most common usage words should be taken off the list.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The f word, for example
I'd say the Mods. have done a very good job of keeping that type of s **** t to a minimum.
(fun w/ asterisk again).

I respect and applaud their effort.

I'm a "contributing member" ... I fully expect my vote, regarding changes..
If there's a $ issue tell us what it takes to solve!

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly it's a bit refreshing. People around here would rather flame each all day more than just talk about smokey old broke diesels. The vulgarity was getting a bit much..

/s
I think some of the folks here may not recognize the sarcasm tag. Heck, it seems like half the folks over on Reddit don’t even know what it means.
/s = “this was sarcasm”

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
As said, we are working on removing words from the list, but we all have full time jobs, and families, and other responsibilities. Yes, @Shaggy ownes several forums, and he has to keep all the forums in mind. Many of the advertisers on here, advertise on those also.

As for the language / censoring. For the longest time, we all kept all posts PG. NO CUSSING was allowed in any of the tech forums or the lounge. Our point of view it that most of us have children, or may be looking at the forum in view of others, and we did not want that kind of language displayed when we were looking at the forum. I know that PERSONALLY, I have edited numerous posts to remove foul language. With fewer mods, since the passing of Towcat, we have let some things that would have normally been edited, slip. Long time members KNOW this to be the case. I never had anyone say anything about an edited post due to language. There have been members in the past banned due to repeated offenses. The only difference is now, it is being done automatically, and we are tweaking the system that is doing the modifications.

There is also a standing rule of no politics or religion discussion in the tech forums or the lounge. We found that almost every political/religious thread ended up in personal attacks and fighting. They were not a civil discussiion. So as a blanket rule, they were not allowed.

As for making this forum stand alone and what that would cost, that would be something the Shaggy would have to address. I know that OB and SDD (Super Duty Diesel) were 2 that were owned by 1 fella, and the cost and time involved in keeping them running is part of why it was sold to Shaggy in the first place.

This is a privately owned forum, with a user agreement that each user had to acknowledge when they signed up. It’s Shaggy’s forum, and he has the right to set and enforce the rules and regulations he sees fit. He is trying to keep all parties involved happy, but unfortunatel, you can’t make everyone happy all the time. He needs to keep the lights on, on all the forums he owns….. and advertiser dollars is how that happens.

Yes, this is a laid back forum. We strive to keep it that way. We have rules and expectations, and most everyone stays within those and we don’t have to rule with an iron fist, and frankly, I don’t want to.

There have been updates recently, due to security (another forum that I am a member of, that Shaggy does hot own or have any involvement, is going through this almost exact same set of growing pains). Give us some time to work though it, and things should be back to fairly normal here shortly.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of the folks here may not recognize the sarcasm tag. Heck, it seems like half the folks over on Reddit don’t even know what it means.
/s = “this was sarcasm”

Wellllll
This DINOSAUR had NO IDEA!
Thans for the education!

edit
kudos to staff (shaggy and crew) for running a casual decent site.
my only .02 would be
is \could the system when censoring a word do a popup to notify the poster it's not going to print, this way the word could be filled in differently?
My mouth gets purty loose at times when I forget where I'm at, apologies.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Scott, that helps keep thinks in prospective.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/s = “this was sarcasm”
I didn't know this either. Learn something new everyday!
I wasn't aware ... call me "Boomer"...?
That's all good too.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@snicklas i think "******" is on that list. Noticed it was nothing but asterisks in my build thread in reference to a ****** ball hone.

edit: D i n g l e

You must be registered for see images attach
What about the word petcock? I know we don't do motorcycles in the tech but what about lounge? Seems to be the most sensored word on bike forums. P e t c o c k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online