What's up with idi's and related ford pricing

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
The reason vehicle prices are up is because it is INCOME TAX RETURN time.

This is not the time to buy, it is time to sell, unless you are interested in MY truck for sale, in which case it is definitely time to buy. LOL

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
The only decent one I seen and that's been sold was the 94. That 85 with 85K miles he's lieing flatter than a rug, more than likely 285K for an 85, of course the unsuspecting won't know. As I see it buy a junker cheap, then nickle and dime, then pretty soon, how the heck did I get 7000 in this truck. LOL

You got it!

I bought my truck for $600 out of a barn!

(cause I was 17 and knew nothing about an IDI)

Well, after everything that happened with the truck, I've got over 3K in it now :eek:

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all thats been said thus far. It has always seemed to me that in the TRUCK market, not CAR- reigonal value determines price more than anything else. For example- used trucks in a densely concentrated farming area such as Nebraska are going to command a higher price than ones in a metropolitan area considering that they are more rare and less used in the latter. IDIs are somewhat of a rare bird here in Memphis. Most always when I see one advertised, it is listed as a Powerstroke even though an enthusiast would know differently and can potentially argue price from that standpoint.
The number one selling point down here on any vehicle is largely mechanical: It runs or it doesn't. Rust isn't an issue unless its something that has been up north and was traded here in which case it is literally worth NOTHING down here. Rusty cars are junkers to us southerners. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of any flavor are rare around here like I said and unless a person requires that heavy of a vehicle for work or towing, most buyers pass them over in favor of a loaded out 1/2 ton that "rides better" which drives the price down the longer a truck sits on a lot. I got my first IDI for free, my second essentially free from the plumbing company I worked for, and the third for $1500 down from $2500 which is what the dealer was asking for it.
Way back in the day, my grandfather owned and ran a small used car lot in the middle tennessee area and would always drive north to find rusty, good running trucks cheap to sell to local farmers who couldn't afford the price tag on a new truck. They would buy one and work it till it broke and then go buy another one. He made a living for 60+ years doing that. He sold trucks based on utility, not aesthetic value.
My suggestion to anyone looking at buying an IDI is to do it. In my opinion it is the BEST value in theused diesel truck market today. What other truck could you potentially buy for less than 2k running and driving and tow from here to california reliably, fix it yourself if it broke, and keep on going? Not saying that new trucks aren't nice, Lord knows they are, but when they are down-they are OUT. IDI's may go down, but they are never out.............

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Here's a cheap one in my area considering it has a GV, turbo system, jake brake etc.
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/2154402791.html

That's normally a $5k+ truck around here. It wont last long at that price.

It doesn't have a "Jake" break as he claims, Jake refuses to make anything for the IH IDIs or the powerstrokes because Ford and International requested that they not out of fear of lifter jacking...
I'm sure you know this, but some may not.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jake brakes are actually a brand name for Jacobsen exhaust brakes right? I know some companies make exhaust brakes for IDI and especially PSD applications. I know the more experienced users here discourage us from using an exhaust brake because of the valve issue. It could well be that Jacobsen has decided not to make their stuff for IH diesels. I really don't know, I'll take your word for it though.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Jake brakes are actually a brand name for Jacobsen exhaust brakes right? I know some companies make exhaust brakes for IDI and especially PSD applications. I know the more experienced users here discourage us from using an exhaust brake because of the valve issue. It could well be that Jacobsen has decided not to make their stuff for IH diesels. I really don't know, I'll take your word for it though.

A "JAKE BRAKE" holds the valves shut and it makes the engine compress air which inturns slows the engine.

And exhaust brake is just a butterfly in the exhaust(like a choke in a carb) which restricts air flow, also slowing the engine down

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I guess it would be interesting to know if it has the actual Jake brake, or the more common (more likely) exhaust brake that some farmer is calling a Jake brake.

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I payed 2400.00 for my 89 f250 4x4 extended cab with 120000 miles on it ! its had no rust it ran and drove great ! and I used it as my parts truck :dunno wish i could have bought one for that cheap

plowboy444

Reaction score
I think the smallest engine that you can get a true engine brake on is a cummins L10, just what I've heard anyway.

And on the subject of pricing, seems like ZF 5s go for twice as much as IDIs around here. cookoo

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
interesting for the prices of things at moment their's not to much of a chance of me getting my hands on an idi the moment gotta find that right one's to come along

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years back when fuel went to crazy highs in price and the economy went bad you could find lots of cheap idi trucks around for super cheap. It is tax return time now and that tends to have an effect on vehicle prices but the rise in values has been going on for quite a while now. I attribute the rise in values to :
rise in scrap prices
change in economic situation
lower fuel prices
peoples gained knowledge of alt fuels
people avoiding monthly payments
Obama's car crushing program
repair simplicity

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Prices are HIGHLY dependent on supply and demand.

In northern Cali a descent condition truck is hard to come by for less than 2k. Because EVERYONE in northern cali drives these things, and the supply is relatively low.

I went and looked at a beat f250 the guy wanted 3500 for, former landscaping rig...

Up in northern Oregon or Washington nice trucks can be found for a much better price. My current truck was on a dealers lot for almost two months, and I gave 3400 for it, thats in good condition with a 5spd, and several add-ons.

It's like they taught you in high school economics... Supply and demand!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.