Whats the best turbo?

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi im new on here and i w as just wondering wat is the best turbo for a 86 6.9 ford diesel? Im torn between a hypermax kit and the banks kit, any suggestions?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I like my Banks kit a lot but I know it's going to be expensive as hell if and when the turbo dies to fix it. The Hypermax I have heard a lot of good things about, as well as the ATS kit. I've heard even better things about intercooling these too, which is what I plan to do at some point when I actually have money....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best forum for these engines and trucks...I prefer the Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo. The seal kit repair parts are easy and cheap to find but... If you need a hot wheel shaft combo your going to need to know what the part number is. The makers.. Mistubishi wont look up anything for you but they will sell you anything you give them a part number for.... Crappy way to do business.... Look on Ebay. A seller in Torrance Ca is selling several new in box turbos kits for several differant trans options in our trucks. If you buy directly from Banks they have to support your point of sale for anything that might break for 5 years of the sale date.... They must keep these parts on hand too. After the 5 years.... I give up whats going to happen... So around 5 years ago I bought a spare turbo from them.... Just in case I needed it. Since then I have bought all the other manifolds and brackets from ebay so now I actually have a complete spare turbo kit ready for whatever happens.... Also have a spare GearVendors too.... Just in case.... Spare parts are good to have in a pinch.... When I die the wifey will be having a garage sale with all the "stuff". Over the many years I have been buying I got cheated a few times buying idi parts that turned out to be psd parts... A complete oil cooler with the end housings... A new psd oil pan clearly described as an idi 7.3 oil pan... That one still hurts. And a new intake valley pan gasket for a psd ingine. Anyone want these make an offer....:sly

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
bp6.9,
The question "Whats the best turbo" is a bad one at best.
Some information is really needed..... for example:
When I was using my truck for highway towing with an automatic transmission my ATS 088 was awesome. Low egts, fairly good constant boost around 10psi, good fuel economy, etc etc.
Now that I don't tow as I'm not in business, I swapped in a manual trans, I live in town, and I'm more interested in off idle power than long highway power, I should have gone with a wastegated turbo of some sort.

With my current usage, a Banks sidewinder would have made more sense.

Fit the parts to your need.

Drew

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax seems to have the best end user support from what I hear. ATS not so much IIRC. Banks middle. Performance will depend on what you mean by best?

Any turbo will wake the IDIs up good. What do you plan on doing with a turbo?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the forum FAQ's. This topic is covered.

JCDiesel89

Reaction score
I have no experience with Hypermax or ATS but I hear they are both great kits. I just finished installing my banks a few days ago. Banks took a lot of time with the engineering of this kit. Everything fits just about perfect. I ran into what I thought was an issue, called banks and they helped me figure it out real quick. Very friendly and helpful people to work with. I would recommend the banks based on my experience. Love the power and the truck sounds amazing with the kit on there now. Like a completely different rig, gotta love that turbo whistle. That being said I am not sure what I will encounter with parts in the future if I ever need them but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Best of luck with your decision. And whatever you choose you will be reaalll happy ;Sweet

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, and im mainly usin the truck for heavy load towing and goin in the mud to recover other trucks, im really lookin for a quick spool up, i just cant decide between waste gated or none waste gated, but i think im goin with the banks kit and an intercooler with head work new head studs and the heads reworked and then a new fuel system like some stage 2 injectors and a performance fuel pump, and i do tow long distnces on the highway with the truck

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax seems to have the best end user support from what I hear. ATS not so much IIRC. Banks middle. Performance will depend on what you mean by best?

Any turbo will wake the IDIs up good. What do you plan on doing with a turbo?

Actually, banks and ATS are at the top - hypermax is different because it isn't wastegated. Banks and ATS are great because they are wastegated and they make full boost almost instantly. Hypermax turbos boost slower but are still great turbos, everyone who has em' loves em'.

They make the wastegated turbos spool faster by making the turbine housing smaller, giving the exhaust more flow velocity. Non-wastegated turbos have bigger turbine housings resulting in less flow velocity(slower boost).