whats going on why no idi guys

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you round up some recruits? I don't hang out in the IDI forum much so most of the guys are foreigners to me over at TDS. Bring some over with you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the problem.......the IDI section(6.9&7.3), commonly known as the "basement", happens to hold a rather contented bunch down there. There is not as much, if any, personal conflicts that happen down there. In fact, I think there has been only three people who had conflict since Aug '99. The posts aren't closely watched by the mods either. The way OT postings very rarely ever gets noticed and moved. Same with the "truck for sale" posts. Here's the reason..... TDS is for all intent is a business. IDI guys don't have a whole lot of aftermarket parts or the makret following that the advertisers are looking for. Outside of maintence items, there is no focus from any of the "sponsors" to the IDI group.
Bottom line is, as ignored as the IDI group is( AND THAT IS A REALLY GOOD THING), we tend to play well with each other and therefore we don't venture far from TDS land. Who knows what may happen in the future.....the nice part of the OB site tho, is the fact that I do own more than Ford products and I can lurk in the other makes to see what is happening.

Last edited:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I am a hard core IDI guy. I was recruited here by Geo who also is/was a hard core IDI guy. To elaborate on what towcat said the IDI group is fairly small and in the "basement". Ther are about a dozen or so common problems witht he IDI and probably just as many with the E4OD that have ben answered to the point of completion. Most of the people over there (TDS IDI) are content with what goes on due to IDI's being somewhat left alone. The IDI guys that venture out into the rest of the site will get a full dose of the BS and move on.
Now, the powerstroke (99 and up) guys are generally ****** whiney pepople who start a lot of the BS rolling there and the IDI guys generally stay out of that part of the siteLOL
Ken

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you two are basically saying is that the IDI crowd is afraid to broaden thier horizons. They are just a happy little family living in a basement where nobody bothers them so they stay there in their comfort zone.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
So what you two are basically saying is that the IDI crowd is afraid to broaden thier horizons. They are just a happy little family living in a basement where nobody bothers them so they stay there in their comfort zone.

I think that about sums it up!LOL

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Kind of but not totaly. Those guys (myslef included) went there for information and found a wealth of it. Most of the guys there are similar in personality and really click. The only way they would come over here in mass is if certain key members where to come first and then recruit. It could happen and probably will over time. I send quite a few PM's but I try not to make it seem as though I just hate TDS and want others to hate them too. A lot of people just don't respond to those type of requests. It is hard to guage an invitation from someone that you can not place a face or personality to. It took good oo JL quite a few years to build up his site but I think he has hit critical mass
One other thing that may help would be to try to get search engines to list this site a little more prominantly. I know those things come with time but a lot of search engines have a function to list your site where you enter your doamin and they will crawl it and list it. TDS comes up for almost everything now and that is how most new members say they found TDS is through internet search and then some lurking.
Since I am thinking now another suggestion is that all members hit the "view new posts" link rather than moving from forum to forum. You can read into the site a little better this way and get a feel for how things go. I started this way and I think it helped me a lot.
Ken

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is something that will make this part more appealing to the basement dwellers.....if there was a "FAQ" section at the top of the post listing, where many of the bolt torque specs, axle decoder info, head gasket procedures, etc.... was permenantly tacked to the top of the page, it would make OB a reference point for us.

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I am a hard core IDI guy. I was recruited here by Geo who also is/was a hard core IDI guy.

Draggin' my name thru the mudd, aren't ya Ken:eek: :D LOL :moon:

Of course I say that in jest..................... NJKEN and I go back to the late 90's when TDS was FORD Diesel.com and was a FUN place.

The core IDI group at TDS are a tight nit bunch that have found and corrected alot of the quirks associated with the IDI.

While many are great guys, they are reluctant to venture away from "home" as they see it.

Oilburners got off to a "vulgar" start in the eyes of most TDS members who "walk the straight and narrow":rolleyes: so recruiting will take some selling on Oilburners good points.

Towcat has a great idea regarding a FAQ section for common ailments/corrections:cheers:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc

Towcat has a great idea regarding a FAQ section for common ailments/corrections:cheers:

I agree and have been tossing this around in my head since twocat mentioned it. Now if I could find a guy willing to do some write ups that would be useable........... Know anybody like that Geo?:angel:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Now if I could find a guy willing to do some write ups that would be useable........... Know anybody like that Geo?:angel:

I'd be happy to contribute, but haven't got a clue as to how to structure{?} it.
All I'm good for on the 'pooter is finding **** and surfing:Q my 'pooter skills are ................:sorry: :sorry::idiot:

Wanna give me sum pointers, and I'll draft{?} something up:thanks:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat mentioned torque specs for major components, part numbers and axle codes.

The following link will cover axle codes back to '92 which covers alot but misses some of the early IDI's.

Axle Codes

Maybe you can also inlude your knowledge of tips and tricks to get a few extra ponies cheap. Kinda like a mini "Baz" page but only for IDI's.

And maybe some of the top ailments common to IDI's. I've got a pretty exhaustive part numbers list for the PSD. I would think on the rolling chassis that alot of the PN's are interchangable. But on the drive train there are the obvious differences. Maybe you have parts books and refernce material laying around still that you could get info out of that would be helpful.

I think in the PSD forum I'll make a post and stick it to the top of the forum with a link to Baz's page (if he OK's it) and the parts number list I have.

So, hows this sound, start a thread call it FAQ's and info or something....

Cover the following content.

1. Part numbers (fuel, oil and air filters too)
2. Torque specs of the big stuff. Heads, rods, exhaust etc etc.
3. Insert that axle link.
4. Geos very own tips and tricks, things to watch for (anti-cavitation additives, oil foaming etc etc) and ways to make extra HP cheap. Or expensively?
5. Cover the transmissions, auto and manual.

When its done and you think its good, post it, Ill stick it to the top of the forum. If you want to tweak it, we can always edit it or add to it later. :thanks:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
95 Stroke

I have a few things written up that were on my website for a while that guys in the basement about cried over when I ripped it all down. If you would like (when I get my 'puter running) I can bounce them off ya. My computer coughed up a hair ball a few weeks back and I have been dragging my feet about getting it back up and running. The things I have are cavitation, coolant filter mod, fuel pump mod and injection pump tear down/replacement of the delivery valve (DV is not for the faint of heart).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online