What's better?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Hi guys,
It turns out that the Ford dealer says my trans is OK, (still under warranty) but the torque converter is cooked. (this is from the recent theft)
They've quoted the ins. co $1843 to replace it, change the burnt fluid & a new filter.
I'm wondering if there is a better than stock TC for the E40D & my use of it.
I basically use the truck to pull the backhoe, trackhoe or bobcat.
If there is something better, I'd like to know. I haven't authorized the dealer to replace it yet, but I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP.
What should I do?

Thanks,
Chuck

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Towcat or RSDSL use an aftermarket converter that has 150sq.in clutch area, vs the 25sq.in you get from a stock unit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes there are better torque converters out there. I would look into BTS stuff. Gary (Icanfixall, I'm pretty sure thats his name LOL) has a torque converter from them. It had more clutch surface area on it. I would talk to him and see how much it cost him.

The E4OD's werent the best to begin with, if you have the chance, its better to upgrade it ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeps, Justin is right, I just looked up Icanfixall's sig and it says he gots a tripple-disc converter with 150sq.in frictions.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tis true. Give Brian a cal at BTS... No way in a million years will you cook a BTS converter What the hell was Ford thinking when they fabed up a converter that has only 25 square inches of friction material....:dunno I ran a Jaspers Automotive rebuilt E4OD for many many miles of hard, fast towing and heavy too. It finally gave up the ghost about 180 miles after I got my second motor in and running. Kinda sucked the big one but that lead me to the BTS and GearVendors now. So I have an 8 speed trans that cost me nearly $7500.00 but I can tow anything at any speed... Just can't stop it with the Ford brakes although the hydroboost has really helped a bunch... But back on topic... Spend the money on the converter. Only thing you really need to know about is what flexplate do you have. I had the heavy cast iron with the thin stamped drive plate. The BTS wouldn't fit inside of it. BTS has the correct flexplate for this and its about $50.00.. Not bad at all.

sootman73

Reaction score
ha about everything on the E4OD can be better. TC is one of the worst things about it. lose a lot of power there. which is why im replacing mine with an aftermarket as the tranny gets rebuilt. not quite sure where or who its coming from but i guess ill find out when it comes back to me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sun Coast in Florida has a good triple disc converter. They were my second choice for a trans besides BTS. It was a real tuff choice because I felt they were equal.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Gary (that's your name, right?), how much would one of these good converters set me back financially?

For some reason, $800 sounds about like what it would run :dunno. It seems like alot, but when a torque converter craps out, you should see how much metal goes through the tranny (I have and was amazed at it, especially all the metal around the tranny pan's magnent). That $800 could save you the cost of a full on rebuild from the metal reaking havic on the internals. Just my $.02

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin, for a trans that costs $3500 and up, $800 converter don't sound out of the norm. I do not need one yet as I don't do any heavy hauling, just an occasional car haul here and there, but tis a good estimate of what I should have in the bank for the future when I do get into upgrading the truck big time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking $1200.00 to about $1600.00 for a really built converter but maybe thats kinda high. I know I saw some that high for the pad pulling guys some time ago. Haven't seen one in a while.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my TC made in victoria BC because they were able to match the price of anything comparable online at the time. I also liked the idea of getting something from a location I could drive to if something went wrong:backoff Paid $740 CAD tax included and am still happy with it.

Came with a billet front cover, anti ballooning plate, low stall, tri clutch lockup, furnace brazed turbine/impeller blades, and other stuff I can't remember. At the time the going rate for something like that on the web was $1200 USD. If I can get a decent converter up here in canada for a price like that 2 years ago, you guys in the states can only do better. Upgrades for the E4OD have dropped in price over the last few years thanks to competition.

Definitely upgrade the torque converter if you are using the truck for REAL towing. The stock one is junk and a time bomb. When they go they can take the rest of the tranny with it.

zpd307

Reaction score
i have been reading up on torque converters. a lot of companys say they can lower the stall. i know on gassers, the stall is increased to get up into the torque and help with turbo spool. so.... what is the benefit of lowering the stall on diesels, especially since peak torque is much lower.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had Brian's Truck Shop rebuild my E4OD several years ago, he used a $1200 torque converter in his rebuild. Might want to check with him.

Mike