What's better?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i was quotes $1200 for a suncoast TC for me SD which is why i went with the stock ferd crap which solved the problem i had at the time but SUCKS in general. i let off the fuel pedal during shifts to recuce the slippage. once locked it seems to stay locked but the act of locking up is weak. stall speed is way too high. next time i will get the suncoast or BTS.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
RacerX seems like a nice guy & people that use his stuff tend to be very happy with it. He offers one that will bolt right up like Genlightening just posted up. Just remember that you'll have to drill your flexplate to get a normal BTS or anything made for a PSD on since the IDI E4ODs had a couple less bolts on the T/C.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been reading up on torque converters. a lot of companys say they can lower the stall. i know on gassers, the stall is increased to get up into the torque and help with turbo spool. so.... what is the benefit of lowering the stall on diesels, especially since peak torque is much lower.

You sort of answered your own question. IDIs have peak torque below the stock stall speed, low stall converters can just barely go low enough to catch that RPM band. Mine stalls at about 1400 RPM. If you start moving at lower RPM, you get better towing, power and economy.

Just remember that you'll have to drill your flexplate to get a normal BTS or anything made for a PSD on since the IDI E4ODs had a couple less bolts on the T/C.

I was asked if I wanted a 6 stud or 4 stud by my builder, but I specifically asked for a 4 stud converter than slipped into my C6 style flexplate perfectly.

tractorman86

Reaction score
what about ATS? i know they have a line of TCs they call it a five star, not sure what they are referring to.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one in from Racer X http://racerxautomotive.com//product_info.php?cPath=23_27&products_id=82

It was $700+shipping. I haven't driven it much yet, but last night I got the basic program loaded for the trans and it hooks up real nice! Still need some tweaking, but the 454 and Turbo 400 never felt like this!
Anyone know what that "infinite stall technology" he uses is? What does it do, how does it work? Do you in the end get a lower stall speed than what the stocker has?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
ha, okay then, but answer this - does it work better than a low fixed-stall converter?

No idea. This is my only auto so I don't have any reference point, and I would have gone with a stick if my wife knew how to drive one. And until I get some real miles on it, I can't say how good it is. It does feel better than the stock TC with Banks Transcommand. But since I changed the TC and added the Baumann control (and put it all in a different truck!) I couldn't tell you which one made more of a difference.:dunno

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
It's a secret...;Really

Email him or give him a call, he's pretty good to work with.

Yeah just give him a call, he's a nice guy & will answer your questions. There's a guy up in New York using one of his tranny's behind a twin turbo PSD pulling truck. RacerX (bill) will load up his personal truck with a big GN trailer with a good size load & go hauling it around to test out his stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online