What would YOU do? Just curious

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every now and again I am faced with decisions that I really dont know how to make.(arent we all..lol)

Last year I bought a 98 Chevy Extracab k1500 for $1000 with the intention of fixing and flipping...as I KEPT fixing this and that on the truck, I have ended up with this...a 98 Chevy Extarcab Silverado K1500 with NEW radiator,cylinder heads, injection spider,fuel pump/filter,distributor gear,full tune up,tires(10ply General Grabber AT's 17"),inside door handles, tranny flush(but now needs the TCC valve replaced,$200),hoses,belt, upper/lower MOOG ball joints and some more things Im sure I left out. Essentially Ive taken this POS and turned into a nice truck.
Now I have my 90 F250 IDI...I have fixed it, got it running and have only driven it around the block 4-5 times because the tires are SHOT. Youve all seen pics of it. I have the money for NEW tires($900), but I have people in my life telling me to forget the Ford, keep the Chevy because of all the work Ive done to it. And if I spend the money on tires and finally drive the Ford for a distance and find out something is REALLY wrong with it...THEN what?
I was raised a Chevy lover, but in the late 90's I got my FIRST FORD (73 F100) and decided I liked them BETTER. To ME the Chevy is just a half ton truck, Im not into half tons unless its lowered and cool...or OLD.(75-older)
Sooo, what would YOU do?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For me, a extra/extended cab is more useful than a single/regular cab.
And also, I would take IFS over TTB. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Im knida in that mindset too. Right now I only DRIVE my truck. I dont use it for anything heavy, although I do have an 18' car trailer,but havent used it in over a year. Im currently building a new BBQ smoker trailer for my catering business. The Chevy is nice, but only has the 5.0(305) and the IDI is awesome, but only a std cab. Maybe I should just sell both and find me a crewcab. Let someone else worry about tires and save my money for a crewcab.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first full-size I ever had was the 97 K1500 I still have. Bought it in '08. I absolutely love that truck but... I also have replaced multiple sets of ball joints, a few cv shafts, a rear axle, blown the 4l60e and swapped in a nv4500.... I have beat the tar out of the truck. It doesn't owe me anything, but it has always felt "soft" to me.

My 91 F350 feels much sturdier. I can't really compare a diesel F350 to a gas 1500 but I think if I was faced with choosing I would look over the F250 with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's in decent shape before selling the Chevy.

I just definitely prefer a 3/4 or 1 ton to a half ton. They ride more solid in my experience, and "should" be a little tougher too.

I'm also sick and tired of replacing IFS parts that always seem to wear too quickly!

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I too prefer a heavier truck. I do know that the E4OD in the 90 is NEW(rebuilt). The PO had it rebuilt back in 2001 and the truck ended up parked with in 30miles of the rebuild do to leaking injectors and it wouldnt rev past 1800rpm. I fixed the injectors and have driven it. It runs GREAT, even for having 17yr old fuel in it. I dont know what more to do without being able to road test it, but cant do that with the crappy ancient tires(severely cracked BFG ATs). I dont really want to spend 900bones and find out something is really wrong with the truck..lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I too prefer a heavier truck. I do know that the E4OD in the 90 is NEW(rebuilt). The PO had it rebuilt back in 2001 and the truck ended up parked with in 30miles of the rebuild do to leaking injectors and it wouldnt rev past 1800rpm. I fixed the injectors and have driven it. It runs GREAT, even for having 17yr old fuel in it. I dont know what more to do without being able to road test it, but cant do that with the crappy ancient tires(severely cracked BFG ATs). I dont really want to spend 900bones and find out something is really wrong with the truck..lol

If you really really think you want to drive the 90 then have a buddy take both sets of wheels to the shop and get the Chevy tires put on the Ford wheels to test it. They're both 16's right?

I'm not being sarcastic. Truthfully if that's your determining factor it's a far less expensive way to test it out than a full set of tires.

I'd say look for a crew or extended cab Ford but at least around here they're hard to find in good shape. Of course... I'm in the rust belt too so even the good ones need fenders and rocker panels up here lol

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure if you saw my post in the wanted section. your IDI is almost what I am looking for. your not remotely close to me but if its in good shape I might be interested. if you want to sell it pm me some pictures and more info. the only down side is its a 250 but I have d60 I can swap in.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Says in his first post tires on the GM are 17". Id go with the Ford simply because I'm a Ford guy. GM products don't really do anything for me. That said, you have done a lot of work to the GM so you know it well.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the ONLY thing the Chevy has going for it is the extended cab. Otherwise, the Ford is * a no-electronics IDI, * a 3/4-ton and * a 4x4. To me, that Chevy should have a sticker on the dash top above the cluster reading "Warning: May cause drowsiness"....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
90 and up chevy trucks always felt like the designers where going for the least amount of driver input or "work" as possible to me, and that made them handle easy but the steering felt really hollow and lazy where with my fords I can feel every bit of the road. Just a personal preference but I prefer having some feel there.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I only DRIVE my truck. I dont use it for anything heavy

Then what I would do,is sell them both and buy a 4 cyl car.Keep packing away the retirement and or additional investment accounts.

Hey,you asked.:D

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90 and up chevy trucks always felt like the designers where going for the least amount of driver input or "work" as possible to me, and that made them handle easy but the steering felt really hollow and lazy where with my fords I can feel every bit of the road. Just a personal preference but I prefer having some feel there.
Couldn't agree more. You turn the wheel in those pickups and there's absolutely no resistance. I much prefer having some feedback and feel in the steering.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would keep them both, drive the Chevy and fix the Ford, but my wife and I have a vehicle problem, six of them for just the two of us.

The way I see it, the Ford is a gamble for daily driver duty, it sat a very long time and that degrades vehicles. No big deal if you go ahead and replace all of the rubber and plastic components and seals that need it, but that is something you would want to do as you can, not because you have to.

I would also suggest not listening to your friends unless they are chipping in money for this. It sounds like you have the Chevy to where it is dependable and you probably have more in it than it is worth, that suggests keeping it, not selling it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think I'd go with your own suggestion of sell them both and look for a crew cab. It sounds like you'd rather go that way anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08