what turbo would you use?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
As some of you know I just won a factory ATS wastegated turbo off ebay,Well today I bought an 85 f-350 dually crew with a ATS aftermarket non gated turbo that was installed 40,000 miles ago-6 years.The truck was knocking when I bought it and I locked up the motor on the way home. I will be using one turbo and re selling the other before the wife finds out what I have done:eek:

Last edited:

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'd go with the non gated one. Simply because I have a gated sidewinder, which is nice, but I rode in Darrin Tosh's non gated with propane and was impressed.

That said, the gated one is pretty maxed out with as far as boost potential no matter how much fuel you put in, but the non gated is purposely oversized so you can add more fuel and get more out of it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
IDIeselman said:
The truck was knocking when I bought it and I locked up the motor on the way home. I will be using one turbo and re selling the other before the wife finds out what I have done:eek:

:eek: Shop got heat Tim?LOL

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet let me know what you want for the one you sell? i need to send mine out for rebuild so let me know $$ thanks

SKimballC

Reaction score
Having had 2 nongated ATS turbos and now a wastegated one, I'd say keep the latter and get the 3" oulet housing from ATS. The lag on the earlier model is a ***** sometimes, and I never got more than 4-5 psi out of them without being up in the deafening rpm's. I also don't miss the copious smoke before spool-up. But I think you can't lose either way, just depends on where you want your boost- earlier or later- and also depending on what you do with your truck.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Thanks guys, As far as using the truck I really don't tow much barring a couple garden pulling tractors and the occasional pick-up. The thing is I am running 35" tires with a 3:55 gear ratio with a c6 I think that makes my gear ratio about 3:08 so maybe I'd be better off wastegated.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be using one turbo and re selling the other before the wife finds out what I have done:eek:

:rotflmao :rotflmao You don't have a shot of doing that.....Mama knows everything:backoff

IMHO, I'd go wastegated. You can always adjust the pressure the wastegate opens if you need more or less boost than what it's set at.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the non gated one. Simply because I have a gated sidewinder, which is nice, but I rode in Darrin Tosh's non gated with propane and was impressed.

That said, the gated one is pretty maxed out with as far as boost potential no matter how much fuel you put in, but the non gated is purposely oversized so you can add more fuel and get more out of it.
tim a.k.a. "the warden" would tell you directly the opposite. I ruined him with a spin around the block in the '92:D
One more thing....keep in mind parts for the nongated model is going to be harder and harder to come by since ATS no longer supports that model.

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I'd go wastegated being able to have full boost at lower rpms is nice instead of the boost being RPM reliant and having to wind it out to get the boost

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a non-gated Banks, and I don't really need to wind it out to get boost, I have 10 psi on deck by 1700 rpm if I'm WOT, and it starts making boost at around 1400, sure, having that 10 psi at 1400 would be nice, but, it's really not necessary, the 'ol girl pulls just fine.
Crusing at 65 mph(2500 rpm) I am running 4-5 psi with an empty truck. Get on the throttle and it jumps up to 14 pretty quick....

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I have a non-gated ATS turbo and I want to get one of these .....
T730442OHPart Description
-Wastegated Turbo Outlet Housing Elbow Casting, Quicker Response, Ford 85-94, 7.3L, IDI (mounts between turbo and downpipe)$283.50 USD
With having the larger turbo and getting a wastegate it should wake up the old girl. What ya'll think. OkieGringo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a non-gated ATS turbo and I want to get one of these .....
T730442OHPart Description
-Wastegated Turbo Outlet Housing Elbow Casting, Quicker Response, Ford 85-94, 7.3L, IDI (mounts between turbo and downpipe)$283.50 USD
With having the larger turbo and getting a wastegate it should wake up the old girl. What ya'll think. OkieGringo
baja-
I don't think that part is for the non-wastegated unit. I have a strong hunch that part is to convert the factory outlet to the ATS aftermarket type.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Towcat's right. I just bought one, it replaces the factory exhaust outlet. There's nothing you can do with the nonwastegated ATS since the exhaust side is one piece with castings for the up and down pipes.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me start my post by saying this:

WARNING! Hanging around this board is bad for your wallet. If you spend any time around board members in person, this effect is multiplied by 10 :shocked: :D :shocked:

Having had 2 nongated ATS turbos and now a wastegated one, I'd say keep the latter and get the 3" oulet housing from ATS. The lag on the earlier model is a ***** sometimes, and I never got more than 4-5 psi out of them without being up in the deafening rpm's.
I have had the same experience with my non-gated ATS...towing in the mountains, I HAD to keep the RPM's up in order to keep the boost at a decent level and keep the EGT's from melting stuff...translation: going rather slow in spite of having a fair amount of pedal left (and, with only a 4K boat behind me, I was unpleasantly surprised at how my truck did).

After driving towcat's '92 for a few minutes, a gated turbo (probably an ATS; I'm not a big fan of Banks) and an intercooler are on my wish list :D -Drool