what turbo to run?

diesele-rock

diesele-rock
Reaction score
i have a 96 2500 i am currently running no fuel plat dual 5 inch stack exhaust and a custom cold air intake i still have the stock hx 35 turbo i want to add a 4k rpm kit 370 hp injectors and delivery valves is my stock turbo going tobe ok or do i need a new one? :confused:

rubberfish

Reaction score
The turbo will last for a while if you're easy on it.
With your wish list of 370's etc. I'd be worrying
about the stock auto or clutch, which ever it is.
You don't mention gauges either, you have them, right?
Back to the turbo, it is going to bark a fair bit too,
until you learn how to make it "not do it"

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well...i have personally seen these trucks make well over 700hp with the stock turbo intact...lots of guys around here are running the stocker..with plates, injectors, high volume pumps, head mods, nitrous. no problems. just make sure your oiling system is up to ***** and let er scream.

MUDDY

Reaction score
running a stock turbo with over 350 rwhp is not good.too hot and the higher boost over 35psi =inefficiency and is ******* the turbo. 700 hp w/ stock turbo,,,,, cookoo . crazy sucker tryin to run that much power and too cheap to go either a good, big single or a good set of twins cookoo

running plateless is not wise either. asking for trouble. grind the stocker for cryin out loud

running a #4 on my 180 pumped truck im at 330/860 befor installing the 3k gsk and to use it all i need a bigger trbo. esp towing. im watching my guages and let up b4 it gets too warm. no way wld i add 370s before adding a better turbo. course i am picky and am hoping to get a million miles before a rebuild if i live that long :D

24VChevy

Reaction score
I would go with a BD-Power Super B or a PDR HX 40. I agree with Muddy, running plateless might end up in a run a way engine if your governor pin breaks off. Grind up a 0-100 plate.

700 hp on a hX35, not possible. maybe in a twin set up with it on top, but not alone.

Last edited:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
The only way I'd believe over 700 hp with the stock turbo intact would be if it were sitting on the work bench having been replaced with something bigger before all that power was added.
Mine dyno'd at 370 hp but pegs the pyrometer going over 1500 deg. egt. It just doesn't flow enough air to go much beyond that and stay 'intact'. I really can't use much of the power towing either. This is with stock injectors which for now I wouldn't even bother swapping in th 370's till I get more airflow.

diesele-rock

diesele-rock
Reaction score
yes i do have gauges i have isspro pyrometer and boost gauge and yeah the stock clutch burned up a while ago i now have a pulling clutch from allied precision should i replace it with a new one or just change the exhaust housing :Thumbs Up

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
HTT Sled Puller 66 or Industrial Injections Phat Shaft 66.

Even then with a 215 HP pump (180 if your truck is an auto) you won't be able to keep EGT's out of the danger zone because that's enough fuel for twins. I know that's the same setup I'm running. However, it will be a lot more controlable.

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
dieselwiezil said:
What volume of air would it require?

What that amount of fuel in a 180/215 pump? I have no idea the # amount of volume it would require, but it would definately require a set of twin turbos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828