what tractor/truck do ya'll prefer

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
379 pete ext hood those trucks day cab are bad ass looking especially with tall stacks.

In my opinion a long hood with a day cab looks out of proportion. With a small sleeper a long hood looks good but a short hood looks better with no sleeper. Short hoods hold up better too. The front fenders have been replaced three times on the 379 extended hood I am currently driving and it only has 260k on it. The back of the hood also cracked out and had to be rebuilt a year ago. The hood hinges also need replaced several times a year as there is just too much hood out there bouncing around. Other than looks and access to the rear of the engine a long hood really serves no useful purpose but take a long hood pete with tall 8" stacks and everyone starts drooling -Drool

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having driven most brands and worked on many of them myself as a diesel mech, my favorite ride of all was a 94 LTLS9000 with an N14 I used to run. I miss that old thing, it was setup custom with gearing and the governor was adjusted for more power and speed. What a ride that was!

In the 90's when I ran fuel tankers, I drove a conventional Freightshaker. Although it seemed to require almost constant maintenance, it was a very good running rig with all the dependability I needed and could use no matter what the weather and I ran on call through all seasons.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest POS was an old 80's vintage COE Freightshaker I drove. Coming in second after that was a MACK. Holy junk.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest POS was an old 80's vintage COE Freightshaker I drove. Coming in second after that was a MACK. Holy junk.

:rotflmao:rotflmao

I'd say mine was my first truck. A '79 cabover cornbinder with a flying 290 and a 10 speed. Drove it for 3 weeks and quit my job until the boss offered me an '85 Mack cabover with a 310 cat,a 9 speed and an air ride cab. The Mack was a luxury liner compared to the IH

Neither had power steering.... the Mack came with it but the boss had the pumps removed because he wanted drivers to be able to "feel the road"cookoo You learned really fast to back into a hole in one shot or you ended up with arms like Ahnold doing itLOL

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao

I'd say mine was my first truck. A '79 cabover cornbinder with a flying 290 and a 10 speed. Drove it for 3 weeks and quit my job until the boss offered me an '85 Mack cabover with a 310 cat,a 9 speed and an air ride cab. The Mack was a luxury liner compared to the IH

Neither had power steering.... the Mack came with it but the boss had the pumps removed because he wanted drivers to be able to "feel the road"cookoo You learned really fast to back into a hole in one shot or you ended up with arms like Ahnold doing itLOL

Now that's old school

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father has a million and a half on his Freighliner.... Not sure how many engines have gone into it. I do recall the crank letting go on the first ...

When I was 12 I remember my dad pulling 50' bulk milk tankers with a IH 4300 or 4700 tractor....and I wanna say the little POS only had a 190hp detroit and a 9 speed. I recall 1st and 2nd gear on a couple hills. I recall the 9 speed specifically because he let me drive a few times.

I also recall sitting on the doghouse of his 75 or 76 IH cabover....and nearly hitting my head on the ceiling over bumps...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also recall sitting on the doghouse of his 75 or 76 IH cabover....and nearly hitting my head on the ceiling over bumps...

That's why I quit after driving it for 3 weeks. I did hit my head with my seatbelt on, jammed my neck and punched a hole in the headliner-cuss.

Gotta love a Rayco 4 spring suspension. almost as bad of a ride as a Mack or Hendrickson 2 spring.

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Pre-2000 Western Star (Constellation Series especially) with a Neway Air Ride. Now if I can lay out the rest of the specs., N-14 525 Cummins, HD-spec 18 speed, 3.90 rears, and 11R24.5 Rubber. Another reason, when I was working on trucks, you could easily reach around the back of the block, even on trucks with 3406E cats in them.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i also find the w-900 long noses are nice and roomy in the engine compartment if i was to buy an off-highway truck it would be either a kw w-900 or a IH 9900 i am also intersted in the new offering from IHC the new lonestar, if i was to buy a highway tractor it would probably be a kw t-2000 for the nice in cab space and the aerodynamics which do matter on highway all three would be cat engines of course. I am really interested in what cat is going to come up with for there tractor.

Last edited:

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
CAT said to hell with the Class 8 engine market. The emissions standards are too stringent, and to me, emissions are a !@$%!#^ing joke! It's time to kick these liberal, communist tree-@#%^ing hippies out the country, and let us have the good fuel, the high HP engines, and a all around better running industry. I'm politically INCORRECT and I'm not sorry for it. Did you know a properly tuned and running engine will produce less emissions than one with the emissions equipment on it? The gas engines with catalytic converters on them emit sulfur acid? I'm not so worried about air pollution, but how about the water I drink? My food (or drink) for thought.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
CAT said to hell with the Class 8 engine market. The emissions standards are too stringent, and to me, emissions are a !@$%!#^ing joke! It's time to kick these liberal, communist tree-@#%^ing hippies out the country, and let us have the good fuel, the high HP engines, and a all around better running industry. I'm politically INCORRECT and I'm not sorry for it. Did you know a properly tuned and running engine will produce less emissions than one with the emissions equipment on it? The gas engines with catalytic converters on them emit sulfur acid? I'm not so worried about air pollution, but how about the water I drink? My food (or drink) for thought.
:hail:hail

Attachments

• clap.gif
    clap.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 96

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score

:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
my hat goes off to you buddy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7