what tractor/truck do ya'll prefer

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, all this computer emission stuff is really bad. The C7 Cat's w/ the new regeneration exhaust system is a pain in the but. Dang buses have been down longer then on the road due to that.

All the trucks you folks are talking about are way to NEW for me. :D:eek: The few I own for the farm (in my sig) are just as old as me. Heck, I'm thinking of getting another one- spare- an early 80's IH S series twin screw with a Detroit 6-71T!!! I only use two trucks for about two months out of the year. Round trip is usually under 80 miles....

For some reason, I like cab overs. Yes, I said cab overs. Reason, the turning and where I drive, it gets tight. Heck, my single screw IH below seems (no, wait) does outpull my K100! And the IH has a very, very short wheel base and rides better too. Guess I need shocks on the Kenworth...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the mechanical injection diesels, and some gassers. TO me, computers do not belong on farm and heavy duty equipment. Just my opinion because they are easier to work on, repair and upgrade. Oh, I forgot, much cheaper too.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "electronics" tend to muck things up..... especially if they get wet and or start to corrode from not cleaning the machine (which happens all the time).

I guess its a way to make sure you will eventually buy a new machine.... LOL cookoo

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Had 2 KW's (old school K100 w/ Cummins and a 13spd, shortnose W900 w/ Cat 3406B and a 15spd), great on the highway, no axle cut, good for attention, bad for mpg. Actually, the 400 Cummins got almost 10mpg pulling an empty van from San Diego. For today's realities, the Volvos make life easier, just hell to work on. If I were to get back on the road, I'd get International Prostar with a big motor, big capacity Ultrashift (2 pedal), and enough gear to hit 100+ with a load.

ke5adb

Reaction score
1,703,000 miles and still ticking. I run it over the road pulling either a flatbed, or a pneumatic. 3406B approx 425HP+, 15 over, 3.70 rears, and tall rubber.

Attachments

• P1140094.JPG
    P1140094.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1140091.JPG
    P1140091.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 9
  • P2020137.JPG
    P2020137.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 8

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
1,703,000 miles and still ticking. I run it over the road pulling either a flatbed, or a pneumatic. 3406B approx 425HP+, 15 over, 3.70 rears, and tall rubber.

That old girl is just breaking in. I had looked at a 61 KW 924 with a 400 Cummins and twin sticks (6 and 4), PO was still pulling a ****** with it. Something like 4.5 million on the chassis at the time, just updated the motor to something more modern.

The only electronic motor I would get into is a Series 60 Detroit, the have proven to be really reliable and are pretty cheap to work on. Add a programmer and few other things, and they can run the Kittys down, and still mpg better.

My cabover was at a million plus, I think the W was at 1.3m or so.

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 1965(?) (mid 60's) era KW conventional running around. (I think I might have posted it above or in another post...) Any how, it has an aluminum frame (factory original) and is going on it's 5th engine so far. The last engine they took out was OLDER then the truck.... had a brownie box and main tranny, but they swapped a 13 speed and left brownie. Last I saw it, the current owner was putting new air ride axles in it.... but she's still on the road. I beleive it's a W series... but I'm not sure.

Oh, and it's a logging truck.... been that way most of its life they say. :eek: With an aluminum frame none the less.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There is a 1965(?) (mid 60's) era KW conventional running around. (I think I might have posted it above or in another post...) Any how, it has an aluminum frame (factory original) and is going on it's 5th engine so far. The last engine they took out was OLDER then the truck.... had a brownie box and main tranny, but they swapped a 13 speed and left brownie. Last I saw it, the current owner was putting new air ride axles in it.... but she's still on the road. I beleive it's a W series... but I'm not sure.

Oh, and it's a logging truck.... been that way most of its life they say. :eek: With an aluminum frame none the less.

Aluminum framed logger? Whoa.

39 speeds? :eek::eek::eek:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trucks with N14s are pretty easy to work on. My cousin used to run and LTLS9000 that was reprogrammed but now runs milk trucks on Sterling Chassis' and my cuz that works for the local Ford dealer just reprograms everything to get a higher top speed, better torque ranges, etc... The trucks are fun, when I drive for them it's nice to get out and light the fire. Of course we do have a bit of a reputation around here...

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The trucks with N14s are pretty easy to work on. My cousin used to run and LTLS9000 that was reprogrammed but now runs milk trucks on Sterling Chassis' and my cuz that works for the local Ford dealer just reprograms everything to get a higher top speed, better torque ranges, etc... The trucks are fun, when I drive for them it's nice to get out and light the fire. Of course we do have a bit of a reputation around here...

That was another good motor, that Cummins N14. Especially the Red Tops. Give me two.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Well, I won't say how FAST they have gotten it.... empty that is....:sly

Going home from work with the empty racks, let's see...........

Turned up motor, overdrive main, overdrive aux, hmmmm......

"Man officer, I had no idea that she could go that fast, 105 was it?"

"I was hoping for 130 mph!"

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going home from work with the empty racks, let's see...........

Turned up motor, overdrive main, overdrive aux, hmmmm......

"Man officer, I had no idea that she could go that fast, 105 was it?"

"I was hoping for 130 mph!"

Forgot to mention..... she has no front brakes. :eek: Was ordered, built and shipped that way..... so for anything fast, your drivers are all you have when empty. (Better then my K100.... it has no front brakes either, but it's a semi... so it doesn't have the benefit of the empty log trailer sitting on the back end when bob tailing...)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
1982 L9000. Hendrickson sprung rear end, 44000 eaton rears, 4.63's, 15 speed overdrive, 855 400hp cummins, untouched engine rotating assembly and heads/gaskets.

She'll go up a damn good grade and not lose a gear. It's no powerhouse, but it gers the job done!

But by FAR the best truck I have ever driven in comes down to two trucks.

1996 Western Star 4900 set back tandem dump truck. 3406E 550ho Cat, 18 double over, 42000 rears and Neway air ride. Power like there was no tomorrow! Would blow black smoke like a tire fire. It had a fairly narrow cab, but it was the Cat's ass for power. The only thing that sucked about it was the Neway would make you get stuck in off road situations...like on jobsites.

2008 Peterbilt 388 tandem tiltload. ISX Cummins 600hp, 18 double over, 44000 rears 3.55's and EVERY option known to Peterbilt at the time in the cab. This truck would go like it was kicked in the ass! Easily able to break 100 MPH loaded or not! There was NO downshifting on the hills and it never lost 1 MPH if you were paying attention. I hauled all the counterwerights for the 70 ton crane with it from northern Nova Scotia, and never lost a gear coming back on ANY hill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online