WHAT OIL PRESSURE WHEN CRANKING?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much oil pressure should I have when cranking over a fresh engine? I am seeing about 12-13 psi with cold (80*) 10w30. Is that good enough to put the fire to it?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My motor isn't fresh but I have 10psi at idle when warm about 25 when its cold. I have around 35psi when doing highway speed and about 25 around town when warm. I ma running 15w40 Rotella.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My motor isn't fresh but I have 10psi at idle when warm about 25 when its cold. I have around 35psi when doing highway speed and about 25 around town when warm. I ma running 15w40 Rotella.

I have the exact same oil pressure as you!

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 10w-30 John Deere Break-In Oil. Special for new or rebuilt diesel engine break-in.
I just sleeved all 8 cylinders and put new Mahle's and new rods, mains and cam bearings in. The Oil Pump was on the high side of acceptable gear backlash but I didn't have the option of new. I was unable to test the Oil Pressure Relief Valve prior to overhauling the engine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm just wondering if anybody has a mechanical OP gauge and can read their pressure while cranking. My dash gauge is an electric and won't read while the starter is pulling current so I don't know what typical cranking pressure is.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, mine starts right when I hit the key so its kinda hard to get a reading. I can crank it with the fss removed tomorrow to see what it does. 13 sounds find for cranking though, as long as you have flow I would try starting it to see what the pressure jumps up to.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea mine starts so fast I don't even get oil pressure to my gauge until its been running about 30 seconds.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 10w-30 John Deere Break-In Oil. Special for new or rebuilt diesel engine break-in.
I just sleeved all 8 cylinders and put new Mahle's and new rods, mains and cam bearings in. The Oil Pump was on the high side of acceptable gear backlash but I didn't have the option of new. I was unable to test the Oil Pressure Relief Valve prior to overhauling the engine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm just wondering if anybody has a mechanical OP gauge and can read their pressure while cranking. My dash gauge is an electric and won't read while the starter is pulling current so I don't know what typical cranking pressure is.

;Sweet
I would think 13 is fine for startup. I think 10 is the minimum acceptable idle pressure.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
wow...I have rather high oil pressure....

I have about 45 going down the highway at 1800 RPM and about 55 on a cold startup in the summer months.

At a warm idle I got about 20 - 25 PSI....is that unusual?

I am running 15W40

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...I have rather high oil pressure....

I have about 45 going down the highway at 1800 RPM and about 55 on a cold startup in the summer months.

At a warm idle I got about 20 - 25 PSI....is that unusual?

I am running 15W40

THat sounds about right for a tight engine. I think 10 is the minimum idle pressure, not the most desirable.