What makes one differ

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are 2 HP ratings for stock 6.9l whats the difference and why does one put out more. Also in the faq's page the code for the axels is that part of the vin or is that located on the axel it self?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference in HP rating results from the different pumps from sea level and high altitude models. The high altitude pump reduces fuel delivery for the reduced oxygen environment of higher elevations and produces less power as a result. This mod is required on NA engines to keep from producing damaging EGT. Can't help you on the axle, often it is stamped on a tag on the differential itself, otherwise I think its on the door jamb not the actual VIN code. Don't know what they all mean. Good luck,
J.D.

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I know my truck was made in Canada and the sticker on the valve cover is blank the ink dissapeared. The factory location may not matter but where it was sent may and it came from AZ.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle code is on the door sticker. The sticker says "Axle" and the code is printed under that.

There is also a metal tag under 2 of the rear axle cover bolts that gives the ratio, if the tag has not been lost. Even if the tag is rusted, you can usually read the mirror image on the back of the tag.