What kind of air do our heads flow?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Anybody know what the CFM on IDI heads are? We've been working on griding intake ports in my Internal combustion analysis and optimaization class. It's pretty easy to get some more power out of an engine by a little grinding... But just wondering what our heads are like. My professor has some experimental dodge heads that i think he said flow about 420 CFM, also has alot of nascar heads that flow around 380 CFM. Maybe some of you have heard of him, Bob Hoekstra, apparently he's had a pretty diverse career in engine devlopment.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont know, but if you can find out show use how:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huff can tell you. Give him a call. 599-583-8833.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A diesel engine is not a gas engine. The diesel intake and exhaust ports can be polished to a mirror finish. If you do that to a gas motor the gas will bead up on the ports and slobber into the cylinders causing a terrible burn pattern. We inject the diesel fuel into the compressed air charge in the cylinders or the precups. Then it ignites because of the heat created by compressing the air in the cylinders. The more air we can get into the cylinders the more fuel we can burn. The cleaner the intake and exhaust ports are the better air will flow. The complete cold air and hot exhaust path should be clean so the in and out is better. Flow will increase. On a gas motor you can kill a set of heads if you hog them out without knowing what your doing. They have air dams built into them for flow at differant rpms. We just want to smooth out the flow because all we really have is a large air compressor without any kind of intake restriction on the intake side. Our diesel can run without the intake manifold in place. It wont run very well but it will start and run. Maybe we could install a very small turbo on each head intake port ????:D Geez, an eight turbo idi motor. I wonder if it would pull a sled.:D Huff may know what these heads flow. I would really like to know also. Maybe run a flow test on my ported heads for a stock comparrison.