What is this part called?

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this post is appropriate for this forum
This picture is from an 1994 e350 ambulance IDI.
It looks like it holds the mounts for the wheels themselves. The boot that seals it came off. not sure if I should replace it.
https://imgur.com/gallery/aDz0JAy

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the lower ball joint. The rubber boot keeps grit out and grease in. Need to replace it. I would do both upper and lower and look at the other side also.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up ball joints and that seems to be it. I am seeing now that that is probably why I had a pull to the left on the steering wheel. So I looked up the parts in rock auto and I think ill just replace all of them at the same time. Should I replace the tie rod end too?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check it for wear. Is it tight and the rubber boot in good shape.
I had a bad ball joint and replaced everything since I was there and would need an alignment anyway.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tools would I need to replace the ball joint? Should I hand this in to the shop or is it a straight forward kind of job?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tools would I need to replace the ball joint? Should I hand this in to the shop or is it a straight forward kind of job?
unless you have a serious set of tools and a place to spread out the mess, have a shop do it. hint....wheels, rotors, calipers, steering knuckles all have to come off.
if you got the cash, do all the tie rods at one time with the ball joints or you are looking at alignment work a second time.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a weeks paycheck for me :(
I think ill just call off a day or 2 to work on it myself for 3-4 days. I think I think I only need a press tool and a fork. I have all the other basic tools.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are lucky that's a ball joint. All previous econoline models had Kingpins and they are a massive PITA to replace. Do the tie rods while you have it apart. That isn't too tough with the right tie rod puller. I was going to put an Econoline Tie Rod article on my blog, but I'm lazy. I have all the photos, but still didn't put it on the web yet.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up what kingpins are all about. They look more durable than ball joints. If you do post the article please let me know. I think Im also going to change out the wheel bearings. Im will be going in deep in this rabbit hole boys!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Look at it this way. At least you don't have the axle shafts to deal with like the 4x4 models do.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at least you're in the part of kali where the labor rates are somewhat reasonable. you're going to want to start looking around for an alignment shop that can handle your van. that will be the adventure :O