What is this?

WhistlinDiesel

Reaction score
This is a picture before I cleaned all under it and all that seal off…but what is that tube coming out? Is it a breather?
You must be registered for see images attach

SultanofNACL

Reaction score
I believe it is just meant to be a drain point in case the rear main seal or transmission input shaft seal leak.
My own humor states that that drain is part of the waste oil ejection system that NASA engineers at IH designed to coat the chassis in oil so it lasts as long as the engine.

WhistlinDiesel

Reaction score
I believe it is just meant to be a drain point in case the rear main seal or transmission input shaft seal leak.
My own humor states that that drain is part of the waste oil ejection system that NASA engineers at IH designed to coat the chassis in oil so it lasts as long as the engine.
Does any of your alls truck have it? Do any of you all know what the part is called so I Can the original part on?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flywheel inspection cover for automatic. That’s where you loosen your torque converter nuts from flywheel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Flywheel inspection cover for automatic.
More specificly, I believe that's for a E4OD transmission. Looking at the picture again, that's exactly what it's for. They may have been used with C6s, but I don't remember seeing them. It's factory. It's supposed to be there. Nothing to worry about. I'd be MUCH more worried about why someone decided to seal the inspection cover to the transmission.

WhistlinDiesel

Reaction score
Well we has that inspected and all and washed underneath and got actual seal for it to keep dirt out. We were just trying to figure out why it was there and if there was more to go to it. Do you know if there is any good fuel pump rebuild kits? I’m wanting to get this truck as good as I can get it and it’s having hard start after being left for ~30mins and I
think maybe a seal went bad and it looses prime possibly??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your injector pump is failing when it does that. It's called the hot start issue. It happens because your internal parts are worn to the point that they gave a hard time pushing enough fuel when they're warm/hot. You can do the Band Aid trick of pouring some lukewarm (not cold) water over the pump. That will cool it off enough that it will start easier. Your pump only has a limited life left and will need to be replaced. You will also need to replace the injectors at (about) the same time because they wear at the same rate as the pump does. If you replace either the pump or injectors and not the others, you can sometimes fix one problem and cause others.

WhistlinDiesel

Reaction score
Your injector pump is failing when it does that. It's called the hot start issue. It happens because your internal parts are worn to the point that they gave a hard time pushing enough fuel when they're warm/hot. You can do the Band Aid trick of pouring some lukewarm (not cold) water over the pump. That will cool it off enough that it will start easier. Your pump only has a limited life left and will need to be replaced. You will also need to replace the injectors at (about) the same time because they wear at the same rate as the pump does. If you replace either the pump or injectors and not the others, you can sometimes fix one problem and cause others.
Well it does this cold and when hot

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In that case, I would wait for an answer from someone who knows more about pumps than I do.

CharlesG

Reaction score
....it’s having hard start after being left for ~30mins and I
think maybe a seal went bad and it looses prime possibly??

What you are experiencing is fuel drain back. There are seals in the hard lines into the filter head and from the filter to the IP. After that, your return lines may need to be replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online