What is this part called??? Oil pressure sender port crack.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my oil pressure gauge started acting screwy. So I figured I would throw in a new sensor and see if that solved the problem. Simple enough, and I've swapped oil sensors numerous times. So I took the old one out and put the new one in, fired it up for a few seconds and gauge looked good. Hop out of the truck and now theirs a massive puddle of oil underneath my truck and splash marks in the engine bay. What?! I'm 99.999% sure it's not cross threaded because I started it by hand, and I know it's screwed in enough. I even used the stupid special socket they take. What the neck? Before I touch it anymore I figured I would y'all to see if you're supposed to do something special for these trucks that I missed? Its for my 1994 7.3 turbo, IDI of course. Sorry if this is a rookie mistake and question but I am hoping and praying I didn't just cost myself a boat load of money I don't have... Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing to worry bout. That area is really a screwy place to work. Best thing I can tell you is restart the engine and use an inspection mirror with a good small flash light. Look for the leak eara. Then fix. Not knowing how much to took apart I can't tell you what happened but.. If you removed the hard line going from the block to the turbo then you probably damaged one of the rubber seals in that hard line.. they are not difficult to find and you MAY be able to just tighten up the nuts to stop the leak. they are the same looking seals found on the hard line feeding fuel to the injection pump. typ4 has them ans is located in Oregon.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... So I figured out what the issue is. Somehow my idiot self managed to crack the part the sensor and the oil line screw into. What is that part even called?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to bust out the TIG machine and some Hastelloy W filler and just weld the crack... Seriously thinking about it. But since it's right on the outside oft he threaded portion for the oil pressure sender I probably won't.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can't get a new one cheap then I will. But since it is literally right on the threads and its cast I would prefer to buy a new one. I can weld cast no problem I just don't want to go through the hassle of preheat, heat sink on the threads while welding to maintain dimensions, cleaning, all that crap. What's that part called?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is the crack... Does anybody know what this part of the turbo system is called? I tried googling the numbers on it but yielded no results...

You must be registered for see images attach

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in the oven for a preheat right now. I'm just concerned that welding will only be a temporary fix. I don't want 100% penetration cuz I don't wanna screw up the threads on the inside... So a little bit of the crack will still be there. Who is Russ btw?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the TIG all set up, foot the pedal down and post flow went out, about one second into welding I ran out a argon. Today ain't my day. So it got stitch welded with MIG. Currently wrapped up in a towel to cool down slowly.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's actually a guy that successfully does cast repair with mig only. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Oh ya it's definitely possible and works quite well if done correctly. Just with how small this part is I would have much rather been able to TIG it so I wouldn't have had to grind the crown down to fit back in its spot. And the wire I have right now isn't exactly ideal for cast. Not to mention TIG is fun lol and its what I'm most practiced with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online