What is this on my 1984 6.9 idi

Danielson

Reaction score
Need help identifying what this is, it seems the previous owner bypassed it but it seems to have something to do with fuel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild guess maybe turbo drain plug or something to do with injectors says stanadye

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my guess is your truck is an 83-86, maybe an 87, but that is the water separator used along with the 6.9 style fuel filter, with no heater in the header, and no aluminum bowl on the bottom of the filter. This is mounted on the firewall over by the brake booster, correct?

Most times it's bypassed because the first time the ring is pulled to drain the water, it causes a constant air leak. Take a picture of the fuel filter and header, it may have been swapped out with a 7.3 style header and filter, that has the built in water separator. Hopefully that's what's been done, otherwise if this has just been bypassed and if the factory 6.9 filter is still being used, and not other added filters, then you have no water separator in your fuel system.

Danielson

Reaction score
Idt it’s ever been turboed, and Yes it’s for the fuel but what does it do? Is it important? It’s been bypassed, you would think you wouldn’t bypass something fuel related

Danielson

Reaction score
Yes directly next to the brake booster..I’m at work but I’ll get a picture soon of my fuel filter set up

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is important. It's a fuel water separator. If water gets into the IP/Injectors it can destroy them. They get bypassed because they cause an air leak, which causes the fuel in the fuel system to drain back to the tank and make it very difficult to start.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the fuel water separator on the driver side fire wall it's important you need a separator to avoid issues down the road

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s important but a poor design. There’s a lot of aftermarket fuel water separators that will perform the same job better and more reliably.

Danielson

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help...so worst case scenario is that I need all new injectors?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst case you get a bunch of water in your fuel your truck runs like crap and the water rusts and gums up everything the injection pump, injectors . A water separator is always worth the few bucks plus you can hook it up and if it's leaking out the drain tube put a bolt in the drain tube with a hose clamp making sure it seals good

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull it off the firewall and the throw it in the trash. Never seen one that isn't bypassed. Notorious for air/fuel leaks.

I'd either get a 7.3 filter head with the water separator bowl/filter (what I use)..... or grab an aftermarket fuel filter with a water separator. I don't know which part numbers will work on the 6.9 filter head, but I know they are available.

Heath

Last edited:

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes please post if this unit will fit a factory 1984 filter head.
I see it's a 2 micron filter.

I was contemplating a set-up like this.
You must be registered for see images attach