What is this on my 1984 6.9 idi

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Something like this.

Heath

I got one like that or similar from a junk yard IDI last year (with the header) but I have yet to install it. Maybe this spring I will finally. If I remember right, they had it mounted to the firewall where the original water separator is located. I'll probably do the same.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The original water separator can be cleaned up and used. I did it with mine and still use it. IIRC, Mel still uses his too.

The 7.3 fuel filter is a 10 micron filter. The 6.9 fuel filter is a 6 micron filter. Just sayin...

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Friend of mine is still using his. We pulled it apart and cleaned it up and it been good for going on 4years now.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The original water separator can be cleaned up and used. I did it with mine and still use it. IIRC, Mel still uses his too.

The 7.3 fuel filter is a 10 micron filter. The 6.9 fuel filter is a 6 micron filter. Just sayin...

I dunno what mine is. I replaced it at high altitude trying to diagnose starting problems before I understood the high altitude issues. It has an oreillys branded filter. Once I descended, the problem stopped of course. It might be the 7.3 one if it's the same threads. Or if the 87 6.9 uses the 7.3 filter. It uses the 7.3 glow plug controller so who knows.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Is this the actual one to use (as in, Google the part number and Buy Now?). Asking "for a friend". Who has an 84. With a bypassed separator.
I'd doubt it..... :angel:

I just pulled a picture off Google for illustration purposes only.LOL

Heath

Last edited:

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd doubt it..... :angel:

I just pulled a picture off Google for illustration purposes only.LOL

Heath
Ha! Glad I clarified! Don't you, by law, have to put some disclaimer in there about the actual product enlarged to show detail, or for illustrative purposes only? I'm sure there's a three letter government agency about to pounce on you in three....two....
;):idiot::p

gfemling

Reaction score
Don't be to quick to toss the factory water separator. The factory water separators can be pulled apart and rebuilt. Just a couple of seals that are not difficult to match up.
If you do keep the original filter/water separator you may want to consider what I did on mine- removed the leak prone central shaft and it’s tip seal. Get 2 quarter turn brass petcocks with male pipe thread-think 1/8” npt- tap holes where shaft exited at top and drained at bottom and install the petcocks. To drain open both petcocks. No more air leak prone seals. Has worked for me and retained stock water-in-sump warning sensor.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do keep the original filter/water separator you may want to consider what I did on mine- removed the leak prone central shaft and it’s tip seal. Get 2 quarter turn brass petcocks with male pipe thread-think 1/8” npt- tap holes where shaft exited at top and drained at bottom and install the petcocks. To drain open both petcocks. No more air leak prone seals. Has worked for me and retained stock water-in-sump warning sensor.
A pic would be great.
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online