What is this electrical connector called?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the type of connector in this photo is called? It looks like some type of splice connector.

The reason I ask is because I am going to add some additional gauges. I was looking at how the existing tach and pyro gauges are wired, and the blue wires in focus are headlight, so they power the backlight for the gauges. The connector seen beneath it is ignition powered. I'm thinking that I can tap into those, but I would like to know what type of connectors those are.

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scotch loks or a vampire tap it is commonly called and are a huge reason for wiring failures....

I would never use em...myself.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the fastest way to mess up any vehicles wiring.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just say no! Those damn things should be illegal.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to do?

I am looking to add more gauges. The truck currently just has a Isspro tach and pyro.

The blue wire in the foreground where the first 'vampire' connector is seen is for headlight power to the gauge backlights. The red wire in the background where the second connector is seen is for ignition switched power. I figured it would be easier to add in additional gauges using those wires.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be extra connectors near left kick panel.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garbage' what russ said!
Should be a law' you cant touch electrical's without an advisor

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the key on power, this is the way to go imho.

If I need to tap a wire for the lights for example, I will generally snip the wire somewhere I can get to and solder in a tap and heat shrink it all down. I like to put a dab of liquid electrical tape at the joint so that when it shrinks down it will squeeze it all through the connection to seal it up good.

That's how I go about it. If you have to, there are better taps than that abomination.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the key on power, this is the way to go imho.

If I need to tap a wire for the lights for example, I will generally snip the wire somewhere I can get to and solder in a tap and heat shrink it all down. I like to put a dab of liquid electrical tape at the joint so that when it shrinks down it will squeeze it all through the connection to seal it up good.

That's how I go about it. If you have to, there are better taps than that abomination.

K those are quite a sweet deal...you can get taps that fit fuse blades too and just tap one side ...but that offers a fuse for the new circut too

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I always called them a piggy back connector. But they are basically crap. Any one that I had used in the past got removed. The connection points usually corrode and just cause really crappy connections.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest using as many scotch loks as you can...make sure you especially use lots on tail light wiring and run truck into some salt water to check for sealing. :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12