What is this clattering sound?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help! I need to identify the source of this clattering coming from my engine, it started making this noise and sounds really bad. Also, it started smoking fairly constant, too.

I can't tell if it's injector knock, collapsed lifter, bent push rod or (hopefully not) a connecting rod.

When this started, it was raining hard and there was a puddle of water on the top of the air cleaner lid. I thought, "Uh oh, hydro lock...".

Anyway, can anybody lend an ear and listen to the video I took Sunday? Thanks...

If the you tube doesn't work, put the "www." in front of "youtube.com/watch?v=WR1I3cORg2Q&feature=youtu.be" and paste in your browser...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR1I3cORg2Q&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have said that I am hard of hearing and am unable to tell the difference between a rod knock and a tappet noise...

Please listen and tell me what you think the sound is, it's very much appreciated, thanks... :hail

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
mine does the same thing.....dsl_dog_catcher has a truck that makes the same noise...

mine has been goin for about 1200 miles like that....the dog catchers has been doin it a few years i believe...

I pulled my valve covers awhile back and all my rockers looked good but like an idiot i didnt bar the motor over to check if they are loose. I suspect something in the valve train (stuck lifter, wiped cam lobe, etc)but my plan is to swap the motor with a known good one then dissect this one...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crack injector lines ONE at a time, if noise stops you know it's an injector.

To me it comes from the back of the passengers side so start with that side and those injectors...

If noise does not go away then it's something else, and warrants further investigation, popping valve covers off and look see etc I'd then disconnect FSS and use a remote starter switch to bump engine over carefully watching rockers/valve train and make sure all the valves are functioning correctly. If not good we may have a culprit...

Hows your GP's any tips missing? May be worth an inspection of those too.

JM2CW

Al

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
on my truck it wasn't the injectors.... i swapped the whole set for brand new BB's and didn't change the noise one bit

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's saying to check the easy things first and then progress to the harder things next...

I'm starting to lean towards a bent push rod because of all of that water that was sitting atop of my air cleaner lid on the day it happened... I see that Rockwell has them individually for under three bux...

So far, the consensus says not a connecting rod... I'll wait for others to chime in...

Thank you guys for your input, it's great to come here and talk with others who own these trucks, it's like one big brotherhood... :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One big brotherhood is exactlly what this forum is all about. Hence the name..BOOB.. Brotherhood Of Oil Boruenrs.. I don't see how a pushrod could make that noise and from the rain water on top of the air filter lid.. It sounds more like a bad piston or bend rod from the hydrolock possibility. Not really saying thats you problem. Its just the science of water in a cylinder. Rods bend and pistons crack before a pushrod bends. Now if a cylinder had some water in it. and as the open valve was going shut the water is being forced out of it. Just maybe as the valve is closed the piston is reaching the top of the stroke and that sudden closeing of the valve bent the pushrod. But we would need to know how fast the piston travels and the closure rate of the valve to know if there is a reason the water could suddenly close the valve when its still partly open by the water acting on it..:dunno I realizse this gets a little deep but thats how my mind thinks thru these things.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I used the truck to go to lunch and back to work and then at 4 pm I went to start the truck and that's when all of the noise started...

Icanfixall, what did you think of the noise? Would a cracked piston or a bent connecting rod make it louder underneath the truck or generate some kind of metal shavings or debris that would subsequently float around in the oil? I changed the oil yesterday thinking that would quiet noisy lifters and I added 12 oz of marvel mystery oil to a nearly full tank of fuel to cover the stuck injector theory...

But, so far, no sparkles in the oil and the noise is the same...:dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't listened to the video yet, but how's the flywheel? Is it a DMF or a SMF? A dual-mass flywheel on its way out can make quite a racket...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
dunno about bill's truck but i can tell you mine is a DMF but I really dont know its condition or mileage. and pushing in the clutch doesn't change the tone/noise at all

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would've put the MMO in the oil.
I've seen a "perfectly" good running engine. Just a loud knock. It had a busted piston skirt. Ran fine, started easy, had plenty of power. Might've smoked a bit though IIRC.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very curious to find out what that noise is. Although the engine seems to run well, that noise and smoke is definitely not good. I would also crack each injector line one at a time like riotwarrior stated to see if the noise goes away. But that noise doesn't really sound like an injector knock to me. However, I could be wrong. Keep us posted

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just now got to watch the video....
Same location as the engine with the busted piston, same noise too.

Also his truck is an automatic, so it's definitely not a DMF issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726