What is this clattering sound?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That amount of blowby is normal in my opinion. Next thing would be to remove valve covers like you stated in video. This noise has got me bamboozled lol.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does your oil smell like?
It smells like Marvel's Mystery Oil! LOL... I poured 12 ozs in the fuel tank to try to loosen up a theoretical stuck injector, so the smell test won't work... But it is alot of blue smoke...

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you poured it in the fuel tank and now your oil smells like it?
smell test seems to be working lol.
Find a set of injectors.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are one or more injector lines scalding hot when the engine is running? I would indeed try a different set of injectors to begin with. They are easy to take out and install.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bad injector will cause excessive blow by and your noise.
Stop where you are at and replace that injector and see what happens.
I'll do that after I check the valve train... If the valve train checks out, then I'll have nothing left to lose...

Except 50 bux... That's big money at min wage... :(

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are one or more injector lines scalding hot when the engine is running?
Nope... I don't have any replacement copper washers or spare injectors either and if I cut any of the olives, I'm screwed again...

I don't have a whole lot of money so I have to think twice and three times before I make a move that might cause me to go into my rent money, especially when work isn't steady... At minimum wage too...

For instance, the only valve covers that are accessible to me right now are 10 bux and I have to drive 4 miles there and back. I think the ones that are on there are the original ones, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to have new ones on stand by when I pop the covers off...

So after saying all of that, I can only go so far, any farther than that, I'm SOL...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just wanted to let all of youse uns know that I really appreciate your input... ;Sweet

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Perhaps maybe some of the awesome oilburners members will be able to help you out and give you a hand with this engine noise....

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said the fuel filter light was coming on sporadically? That light is for fuel filter restrictions. A clogged fuel filter can change the attitude and the sound of that engine. I've seen that more than a few times. I know its risky with that engine noise but i'd goose the throttle a couple times and see if that makes the light come on steadier if not for a second or two. Check fuel pressure at your filter head shrader valve also. A infared heat thermometer is also a very good diagnostic tool for these old mechanical idi's with no codes you can pull. It'll tell you the temps of those injectors. I'd also run a relative compression test as well. These tools can get a lil bit pricey but can be borrowed or rented from a parts store possibly to eliminate certain problems it can be. I dont know the psi values for the lift pump or the cylinders off the top of my head but im sure more than a few people on here do.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm back in Daytona...

That's weird, I posted that last night in response to Hydro-idi... I guess I hit the wrong button...:dunno

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok then...

I took the truck to Southeast Power, they work on diesels and sell parts for the engines...

I told them if they could come out and identify the noise as injector knock, then I would buy one from them...

The guy goes out with me and listens to the engine and after a few minutes, says that it is definitely, without question, injector knock... Only he says that it is the front one and he would sell me one for 38 buxs...

Then it dawned on me that when I cracked the injectors on the passenger bank, I couldn't crack the 1 injector because the line was twisting with the nut... So in my mind, that had to be the bad injector because I cracked the others and the noise never went away...

So, I replace the injector with the transducer ring, with the new one... It was a Delphi #6760301 "BB" and new, so it should have no need to be pop tested, right?

Well, after I replaced the injector, I started it and behold...

I still have the noise!!!

So, Obviously the first one was good, it had some soot on the tip... I then took out the last one and the old one from the front went in that hole. Oh yeah, before I forget, the copper washer stayed in there, what would cause that? I tried to pick it out but it's not coming out. So I took the one off the first old one and stuck it in there. I started it and it STILL has the noise...

I don't want to throw money (that I would have to borrow) at it, hoping that something will stick. Are you guys still of the opinion that it's injector knock and that I should swap injectors around until it goes away? If so, then I would rather just go for new injectors for the remaining holes and see if that does the trick... Also, being that these new injectors (for 38 bux) are new, should they be pop tested? I don't even know if they still have one...

This has me running around in circles and pulling what hair I have left out by the roots...:frustrate

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you have found a bad injector and you go to crack the line open, the knock and smoke should go away immediately.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm so the suspect injector was replaced and no change. I am still interested as to what type of smoke is comin out of your tailpipe. It kinda looks blue from the videos but still a little hard to tell. I was always better with my sniffer than my eyes with exhaust smoke diags anyway. Does it definitely smell like raw diesel or oil burning? I wish this was smellovision! I watched your videos over and over again and dare I say but the sound sounds stronger when your camera is near the oil pan, but I dont want to jump to conclusions as its only a video and im not actually there crawling under your truck. I would still try hard to rent or borrow a diesel cylinder compression tester next to see if itll tell you if you have a cracked piston, bent or burned exhaust valves or even a piston slap noise and we'll keep helping frpm there as best we can on here!! ;Sweet

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm so the suspect injector was replaced and no change. I am still interested as to what type of smoke is comin out of your tailpipe. It kinda looks blue from the videos but still a little hard to tell. I was always better with my sniffer than my eyes with exhaust smoke diags anyway. Does it definitely smell like raw diesel or oil burning? I wish this was smellovision! I watched your videos over and over again and dare I say but the sound sounds stronger when your camera is near the oil pan, but I dont want to jump to conclusions as its only a video and im not actually there crawling under your truck. I would still try hard to rent or borrow a diesel cylinder compression tester next to see if itll tell you if you have a cracked piston, bent or burned exhaust valves or even a piston slap noise and we'll keep helping frpm there as best we can on here!! ;Sweet
Well, the guy at Southeast did say that the smoke is oil burning with some raw fuel mixed in...