What is this clattering sound?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe he should check the blowby as well. If it is a cracked piston, there will be plenty of blowby.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dunno about bill's truck but i can tell you mine is a DMF but I really dont know its condition or mileage. and pushing in the clutch doesn't change the tone/noise at all
I missed that he has an E4DOA, so that doesn't apply to him. :oops: Regarding your truck, I don't think the clutch will make much of a difference, although I admit to not knowing for sure (I put in a SMF when I did my trans swap, so this is partially based on what I've seen on other trucks and partially based on theory). But, if the issue is the two pieces of the flywheel moving more than they're supposed to against each other with every power stroke, I can see the clutch not making a huge difference...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... You're the best!

I can tell you that I don't have any blowby via the sheet of paper at the end of the tail pipe... Nor is there any woofing from the intake manifold or chuffing at the tail pipe... So I guess we can rule out a cracked piston???

However, there is a new noise... I hear a whistling sound from the oil filler neck when I take the oil cap off... I think my CDR gave up the ghost and that's gonna cost me about 75 bux...

Ok, I think it will be safe for me to drive to work tomorrow and I hope I can get home in time to check the injectors and pull the valve covers off. I just wish I hadn't lost my remote starter switch...

Keep it coming, I'm learning...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whirling/whistle noise from the oil fill is a common sound. The teeth on the timing gears make that sound as the move together.

Chuffing, woofing in either in the intake or exhaust is usually a symptom of valve sticking open or no sealing well on the seat. Not typical of piston issues as the noise come from compression gases escaping past a valve that is supposed to seal them in. No sure if a cracked piston could duplicate those sounds in the intake or exhaust, just not seeing how that would happen.

I'd likely pull the valve covers and have a good look for any changes in the rockers, springs, pushrods............ with the engine off, running, and while turning over by hand. It will make an oily mess though. A used oil analysis could be helpful as well.

Heath

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a modified rdt or the original cdr? If you have the original cdr, pop off the air filter bowl and take a look inside to see the amount of blowby you have with the engine idling. A cracked piston will cause massive amounts of blowby. Replacing your cdr right now is the least of your worries in my opinion. I would then pop off valve covers like stated and check things out with it running to possibly isolate problem

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looking at the tail pipe smoke I say its most probably an injecter. nobody has asked how many miles are on the set in the engine now. Reason I feel strongly about an injecter is the smoke. A cylinder washing down by fuel will make blue smoke. White smoke is unburned fuel and black smoke is too much fuel.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a sound (and smoke at higher rpm as well as a loss of power) much like that before I threw a rod threw my oil pan. Not trying to scare ya but I would really look into fixin it before it dies on ya.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a modified rdt or the original cdr? If you have the original cdr, pop off the air filter bowl and take a look inside to see the amount of blowby you have with the engine idling. A cracked piston will cause massive amounts of blowby. Replacing your cdr right now is the least of your worries in my opinion. I would then pop off valve covers like stated and check things out with it running to possibly isolate problem
I have the CDR and I think it's the original one. If I had a cracked piston, wouldn't blue smoke come out of the oil filler neck when I take the cap off?

Just wondering...

Icanfixall, the first thing that came to mind when the noise started was an injector ******* like a cow on a flat rock... They have about 130,000 miles. The fuel injector pump was replaced at the same time...

Hmm, would a constant premature pop off create the same thing as detonation, or at least damage the piston from the shock waves?

I would guess that a constant washoff in a cylinder would lead to piston skirt failure, same as running it for a while, low on oil... Or would the oil squirters under the piston keep that from happening?

I wish I had the chance to check the injectors and valve covers earlier today... :(

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched DaytonaBill's video. A nice way for us to get a good grip on this sound your hearing by the way;Sweet. So you said the SMOKE started the same time the SOUND did? The rattle I can hear. I'd be more interested in what the smoke smelled like. If it smells alot more like burning oil then yes i would lean towards a piston problem....If it smells like normal raw diesel then your problem may be a little further up top but you still have that loud knock. I would definitely start at the top and work my way down starting with your fuel system and like icanfixall said with broken gp pieces in your combustion chambers possibly knocking holes in your piston and/or bending your valves also causing your smoke problem. Compression testing, fresh fuel filters, known good diesel fuel to eliminate fuel knock problems is just a few. We are all here to help and have good guys on here.:D

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a cracked piston skirt.

However, take off your inspection cover for the flexplate and retighten all six torque converter bolts, as it did sound like a loose torque converter.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First things first start cracking injector lines and see what cylinder its on. Im guessing its fuel related.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the fuel system. Seeing its got 130,000 miles on the system there could very well be an injecter issue. Feel the hard lines for a hot one. If an injecter stays open the compression will creep up the hard lines and heat the heack out of them. Sometimes it wil burn a hole thru the plastic return cap. A bad injecter makes a horrible knock noise. It can sound like a rod bearing gone bad or a piece of glow plug stuck in the top of a piston banging on the head. Very slight possibility of a plug tip breaking thru a piston. Our pistons are 560 thousands thick at the thinnest place on the tops. It gets much thicker towards the edges. Oil is always squirting up under the piston too. If an injecter is washing down the cylinder that oil will bypass the rings and cause blue smoke like you have. I'm not seeing the broken piston skirt idea nor a rod about ready to go thru the oil pan. Anything can be a possibility but not probable. Still feel its an injecter poping way early.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay... I never had the chance to check the injectors until this evening... What I found is a bit disconcerting...

The 1, 2 and 3 injectors are ok. When I cracked those. the engine stumbled until I tightened it back down... However when I cracked the 4 injector, yes it did stumble, but not by much and the noise did (I think, or I might have imagined it) soften just a tiny bit... :puke:

Then I just happened to look down into the throat of the intake and saw the CDR had a stream of smoke flowing from it, right down the throat of the intake manifold... For some reason, the crankcase is getting filled with smoke...

Bad valve guides or a bent valve would explain excess blue smoke out the exhaust, but I took a video of the smoke in the intake.

Can you guys check it out, I don't think it's got anything to do with the valve train... I'm thinking it may be worse...

http://youtu.be/YznqHoU_YOg

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad injector will cause excessive blow by and your noise.
Stop where you are at and replace that injector and see what happens.