What is the Dual Mass Flywheel Thickness

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a Dual Mass Flywheel laying around that they can measure the thickness of. I don't meed the pressure plate on it , just the Flywheel assembly itself. The measurement I'm seeking is as if you laid the flywheel face down on the floor and measured through the pilot bushing to the crankshaft mounting surface. For reference the Single mass 7.3 number is 2".
Thanks

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to weld the IDI adapter head up on my engine stand and I want to be sure it clears a DM flywheel.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had seen this earlier I could have gotten a measurement today. If I run out to my parts tomorrow I check for ya.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Dragging this up from the depths...

Because it is the #1 hit when you do a search for IDI flywheel thickness...

I just measured a DMF out of a 1992. From flywheel surface to crank mating surface is 2.10" without the spacer. The spacer measures 0.485 and we get a total of 2.585.

I was looking for the thickness of a LUK single mass flywheel when I found this thread... still no Luk. :D

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The SMF LUK is 2.10" thick.

And for posterity (in case I lose it :) ) the crankshaft end to transmission mating surface is .405" . The trans mating surface to flywheel surface is 1.605"

It is interesting that the DMF on the '92 is that much thicker and it all still works. The spacer on the DMF is 0.485" thick. The DMF alone is 2.10" thick.

Anybody know why Ford started using the spacers in '92 and up???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle