What is the deal with.......

SKimballC

Reaction score
Then I just grabbed it one time and it slid right out. :cheers: I was very close to draining the diff and going at it from the inside at that point. My neck and shoulders were killing me. Good luck.

I'm adding it to my list of things I never want to do again.LOL

Tom

I have one of those lists too, but you know how that goes.LOL

The real trouble is that you can't get onto it from the inside, but I drained mine in anticipation of drilling into the dead sensor in case shavings or chunks fell in. Which is what I will probably have to do. :mad:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to say. It's up against the ring gear, so there is no getting to it. I had to replace the one on the Lady Moose, but she happily gave her defective one up, and in one piece no less.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Well, I got the broken sensor out after a brief skirmish. I drilled into it, threaded in a screw and pried it out with a hammer. The thing has a plastic case, the magnetic core, and an unbelievable amount of the finest copper wire I have ever seen. I did pull the cover and drain it for piece of mind that nothing fell in, but it was unnecessary. So now I get to refill it with fresh gear oil at least.
The pics show how the bottom piece of plastic broke off, exposing the guts of the little booger.

EDIT: The ABS light is now OUT! Stupid sensor...

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's a lot of wire. Must be a really week signal to need that much. The fact that it is so fine probably has a lot to do with why they fail.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Well, I got the broken sensor out after a brief skirmish. I drilled into it, threaded in a screw and pried it out with a hammer. The thing has a plastic case, the magnetic core, and an unbelievable amount of the finest copper wire I have ever seen. I did pull the cover and drain it for piece of mind that nothing fell in, but it was unnecessary. So now I get to refill it with fresh gear oil at least.
The pics show how the bottom piece of plastic broke off, exposing the guts of the little booger.

EDIT: The ABS light is now OUT! Stupid sensor...

Shane

Was that wire inside the magnetic core? Where mine sheared off, it just looked like a broken magnet. Except that it was not magnetic (I tried). I may need to go fish mine out of the trash and do an autopsy.

I thought about the drill and tap idea too. I was afraid of introducing more debris into the gears.:eek:

Congradulations by the way on the successful extraction!:thumbsup:

Tom

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yep, all that wire was inside the case wrapped around the magnetic core. If you look at the bottom off one of these, you can see the tip of the magnet.
I had nothing to go on, so I got the drill out and was surprised that it went right in, thinking it was one big magnet. The bit hit the magnet in the center and slid to the side of it. I stopped drilling before it went all the way through. The bottom piece of the plastic case broke off when I pulled it out and left the stream of copper wire.
Its not at all what I would have guessed was inside that thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle