What is the best soundinng diesel in a small truck? all done up or stock.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
This is opinion obviously but what do most people feel has the best sound. I have heard the Dodge Cummins really stand my hair up but what about a strait piped IDI I hear are awesome too.

I know so far I love my 94 turbo sound but I believe the exhaust is stock.

Just curious on opinions.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The NA trucks are loud and big block sounding. I am quite fond of my straight piped turbo 7.3, only wish I had 4" exhaust with dual stacks, more for sound purposes than function or looks.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
All done up, eh? Always wanted to drop a Detroit 2-stroke into a truck. Like the 3-53 here: -Drool-Drool-Drool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo8GwCs9ARU

Nothing compares to a screaming Jimmy! Love the old two-strokes, ironically my Dad and I are looking for a host vehicle for a 3-53 Detroit :D

To answer the first post, of course I prefer the sound of my own truck...5" "Sewer Pipe" straight-pipe on a 6.9 with a Banks Sidewinder.

Please return your seats and trays to the upright position and prepare for take-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP-uCabQbfQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I remember the old Screamin D's as I remember listening to them in cement mixers when I was a kid, nice sounding trucks by the way.

inyoyote

Reaction score
Those old 2 strokes get kind of annoying after a while. I used to work at a place that ran off a 12v92 gen set. Even with a monster donaldson muffler you could hear it all over the site. I like the old 3208 NA and turbos, but even more, I like my 08 ISX that all I hear is a bit of turbo and enough engine noise that if I turn down the tunes, I can make sure its still purring away. Just glad I don't pay the fuel bills.

We have a newer genset with a John Deere engine that sounds pretty cool. Our snow blowers with the 750HP 12 cyl cats sound pretty vicious all boosted up at 1800 also.

As far as pickups, My cummins breaths through a 4" turbo back MBRP with a donalson muffler that you can only really hear boosted up tight, just right for me.

I don't want to be like the old timers that are deaf from listening to those old engines 12 hours a day.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a bunch of 671 Detroits in our school buses in California, love the sound of those the best. They were a blast to drive, especially with the 10 speed Roadranger.
My wifes bus had a 6V92 that could be heard a couple blocks away, it was an auto but that thing would haul ass up Cajon pass.

As crappy an engine as the triple nickle was, I kinda favor the sound they made also.

Far as small trucks, I have to agree with the 3-53 but in the real everyday world, the sound of the straight pided 7.3 Powerchoke is my favorite

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
any 6.0l psd with either a powermax turbo or a stock 2003 turbo and a 4" straight pipe. Now toss in some injectors and a tune and when that engine is winding out, i get a super funny feeling deep down inside of me. A tuned and injected six oh yes sounds so fuggin nasty!!!!! some don't like the sound they make, guy i work with can't stand the sound of a 6.0l in the upper rpms. Now if you want to get really far from stock.....there is NOTHING like the sound of a 6.4 psd with a single turbo conversion and a 5" straight pipe. The thump out the exhaust of that non-vgt is awe inspiring and the growl it makes when gettin' down is just......oh oh oh ahhhhhhhhhhhhh *****.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
bookite03.....your truck is by far and away THE BEST SOUNDING turbo idi i have EVER heard!!! I could watch that video all day and it would never get old. I even showed it to a DIE HARD cummins guy at work and he loved it! Good job man!

still need to have somebody at work drive my truck so i can hear what it sounds like lol.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Those old 2 strokes get kind of annoying after a while. I used to work at a place that ran off a 12v92 gen set. Even with a monster donaldson muffler you could hear it all over the site. I like the old 3208 NA and turbos, but even more, I like my 08 ISX that all I hear is a bit of turbo and enough engine noise that if I turn down the tunes, I can make sure its still purring away. Just glad I don't pay the fuel bills.

We have a newer genset with a John Deere engine that sounds pretty cool. Our snow blowers with the 750HP 12 cyl cats sound pretty vicious all boosted up at 1800 also.

As far as pickups, My cummins breaths through a 4" turbo back MBRP with a donalson muffler that you can only really hear boosted up tight, just right for me.

I don't want to be like the old timers that are deaf from listening to those old engines 12 hours a day.

I know what you mean, you know you have problems with your hearing when a fuel car sounds quiet. To much time at the strip for me listening to whatever HP they are today.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
bookite03.....your truck is by far and away THE BEST SOUNDING turbo idi i have EVER heard!!! I could watch that video all day and it would never get old. I even showed it to a DIE HARD cummins guy at work and he loved it! Good job man!

still need to have somebody at work drive my truck so i can hear what it sounds like lol.

He's pretty hillbilly ain't he, a regular Jethro Bodine. :sly

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Who? my Cummins buddy? is so then no. he lives in the city, can practically lean out the window and touch the neighbors house. hardly knows what country music is. doesn't run the tow mirrors out cuz he can't stand how they look(doesn't complain about visibility with them down either, and i have driven the truck and i had ZERO issues seeing out of them and i didn't even adjust them to my liking since i was just going on a test drive in it) tells me they rattle around like no other when flipped out as well, he isn't huge on oraling coal, has a 5 inch straight pipe in the factory exit location and wants to add a 6 inch tip later on down the road, doesn't want a garbage can on the end of the tail pipe. Doesn't have riced out HID's, doesn't have rockstar reemz on it, he is actually going to run 35/12.50-20 nitto trail grapplers on BMF novokanes. 4 inch lift. truck is gonna look killer when all said and done.

So you sir can take you stereotypical Cummins attitude and blow it out your a$$!

Rant off - have a nice day!

Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree Eric, i always loved the sound of those 6.0s to, cant say i have ever heard a single turbo 6.4 though...i will have to youtube that

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Do it, you WILL NOT be disappointed. i can guarantee that. i am sure you will find it, but there are a couple fly by vids of a red single turbo 6.4L out on a two lane country road, that one gets me going every time LOL

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Nothing compares to a screaming Jimmy! Love the old two-strokes, ironically my Dad and I are looking for a host vehicle for a 3-53 Detroit :D

To answer the first post, of course I prefer the sound of my own truck...5" "Sewer Pipe" straight-pipe on a 6.9 with a Banks Sidewinder.

Please return your seats and trays to the upright position and prepare for take-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP-uCabQbfQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have you seen the Sulzer 96 2 stroke ?