What is leaking?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a clear liquid that is leaking from this box near the dipstick on the passenger side of the engine. What is this box? What could be leaking? Is that radiator in the front of the engine radiator an oil cooler or is that for the AC? Whatever the box is its got a hose that runs from the front small radiator into it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

LindstheMarine

Reaction score
I believe your picture is of the AC / heater box. Your truck looks a little different than mine, but I think that metal line (to the left of the dipstick) going into the box is your AC condenser line. If I had to guess your liquid is probably just water. But someone will eventually come and correct me if im wrong lol.

The radiator at the front of the engine runs liquid through the motor and cools basically everything. There is a oil cooler on the drivers side of your truck that cools the oil as its sucked up from the oil pan.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something AC related. I was running the defrost this morning with the temp in the middle. The AC doesn't work but figured maybe it was water or fluid from that. The little puddle down below hasn't evaporated yet which is surprising so I figured there was some kind of oil or chemical in the liquid.

Disregard the oil cooler comment, I forgot that I knew that was on the drivers side down by the oil filter.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Linds is correct it’s your climate control system.

However since the puddle is not evaporating like water perhaps it is coolant. Your climate control system has a heater core for heat and a evaporator for cooling. The heater core could be leaking.(Its basically a mini radiator.). If your radiator has coolant in it the puddle should either be the color of the coolant, be slippery between your fingers, or just smell like coolant. Green coolant smells sweet, I do not recall what the pink Final Charge smells like.

The good news is the heater core is not to bad to replace. Several YouTube videos as I recall. If you do have to replace it, remove the glove box, it makes it much easier.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the color of the coolant which I know can be hard to distinguish in isolated small amounts like this. I run final charge that also has UV dye (green) mixed into it because I once tried to track down leaking coolant. Must just be water? If it is the heater core leaking what would some symptoms be? Besides disappearing coolant that is...

Last edited:

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anti freeze smell in the cab when you run heat or defrost, also condensation on windshield on defrost.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It's not the color of the coolant which I know can be hard to distinguish in isolated small amounts like this. I run final charge that also has UV dye (green) mixed into it because I once tried to track down leaking coolant. Must just be water? If it is the heater core leaking what would some symptoms be? Besides disappearing coolant that is...
If the puddle comes back use a UV light to see if it has the dye you added. Keep in mind the color may change due to dirt, rust, mold,etc sitting on the bottom of your climate control system. As it drips on the bottom, pools, and goes out the drain it could be more brown than the final charge.

However it could just be water from condensation.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water from condensation is what I was thinking.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anti freeze smell in the cab when you run heat or defrost, also condensation on windshield on defrost.
This^^^ and suddenly a floor full of liquid + Anti-Freeze.
Had that happen 11:30 one night cutting through the farm Land south of Sacramento.
My Wife said " I smell something wet over here" ME "wet"??? then suddenly "There is water leaking all over the floor!!!".
I pulled over, lucky I had my tool bag with some 6" Vice grips. crimped off the 2 Heater Hoses under the hood, and drove off.

Goat

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your heater core is shot. Easy to change from the inside of the cab. Remove the hoses from the core and remove the glove box and you will see the heater box. Open it up and change the core. Not a big deal.