What is calibration?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here at Moose Labs, we are always interested in helping you guys understand what it takes to turn out a quality injection pump. Meticulous rebuilding practicies, quality parts and spotless machining are all a big part of what it takes to make a really great IP. One of the things that truely sets a Moose family IP apart from the rest however, is the calibration. Painfully perfected on the Moose Truck, each pump is calibrated to an exacting spec that ensures each Moose Pump or Baby Moose performs as intended. Calibration takes place on a calibration bench, where over 32 parameters are measured, adjusted and double checked. An IP has over a dozen adjustment points, and when one is touched, the entire calibration must be rechecked. It IS a time consuming process. Labor is expensive and is one of the areas other builders readily skimp on. Ask yourself if you really believe this kind of perfection can be bought at mail order prices. Here we see an actual Moose Pump being calibrated on 03/15/2012.

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3015454350107427566ypJnSn

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
expensive machine I bet! I still want one, but I must do bodywork before anymore money goes into the rest of the truck!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath.... I've got one of those calibration machines behind my rear seat....:eek::rotflmao:angel:
Thats a great deminstration of what happens behind closed doors in a hospital clean operating room. I'm kinda surprised the operatr isn't wearing a white suit and hair net...:angel: Those cali rooms are realy clean. Thats the best way to know if the shop working on your pump is a worthy shop... I had my trucked timed about a year after I got it. The shop owner told me he could up the fuel so much that it would look like a trian engine going down the tracks....:eek: Way over in the corner of this "shop" I saw his wodden dirty greasy work bench...:rolleyes: I never went back nor did he "tune up" my pump. Just timed it... We live and learn... Nice viedo Mel... You get what you pay for is well put too....

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
cool vid...

on the top of the list of things for my truck....along with a typ4 cam and a new set of injectors

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Heath.... I've got one of those calibration machines behind my rear seat....:eek::rotflmao:angel:

I noticed there are not a lot of people here doubting that statement. In fact I believe it to be true until proved otherwise. I have a vision of the area behind your seat-----sort of like Snoopy's doghouse, if you remember all the rooms and things he had in there.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Awesome video mel, I'll bet alot of work goes into themoose pump thats way over my head lol cool vid and thanks for the service provided to this dying breed of engine, I guess you could say we're all runnin a rescue shelter around here

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since im up in Canada (pretty much across North America from you) do you think it would be better for me to purchase a pump locally and have it shipped to you, instead of me taking mine off and shipping it all the way to you?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What a lot of folks fail to realize is that the price of a moose pump is no more than the price of a quality pump rebuild at a factory authorized pump shop. The shop in the city I've been dealing with for years that does beautiful work and has every piece of 35-60,000$ calibration eqipment that you can imagine ( and probably a few more since the last time I looked ) charges as much and more as the cost of a Moose pump for a quality rebuild, but just like a moose pump, you get a great pump, but unlike a moose pump, its strictly stock calibration, they won't warranty hot rod jobs.

Those budget internet pumps are just throw enough parts at it to get it out the door and pray it makes it past the 30 day return period, and if if doesnt, oh well, there's a hundred more on the shelf

kb1jid

Reaction score
Mel whats the turn around time for a baby moose pump after you recieve a pump to get it back to somebody ?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since im up in Canada (pretty much across North America from you) do you think it would be better for me to purchase a pump locally and have it shipped to you, instead of me taking mine off and shipping it all the way to you?

I have 4 pumps sitting here, two working ones for certain still on running engines, other two unkown condition, I suggest getting to the wrecker n finding a couple and shipping one out and keep yer known working unit for a spare when new one comes...or send it once new one is in...

As a note...I know there is a turbo on a truck up thar in a wrecker too BTW...;)

BTW...Mel excellent video...these vids of pumps, and injectors are instrumental to show the intricacies and QC that goes into Moose products...BTW where is that injector vid again?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O I was thinking of buying a pump in PA.....but I like your idea to

you know of one in prince george? .....do you what yard it is?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of questions. PM Me if your serious on a pump. No Heath, this one wasn't yours but I did pick it up when I shot the vid. Did you catch the groovy thing that fits in the port where we turn up the fuel screw to measure the timing advance? It's that black thing. Pretty neat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online