What do you think about this deal?

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been trying to get back into an idi ever since I crashed my f350 last year.

I found this truck listed locally and was wondering about the oilburners opinions.
I will be using this truck to haul a one or two car trailer, and also a 28ft bumper pull camper.

The seller says the 6.9 is a reman with 6000 miles on it.
Thanks for any input.
Also if anyone knows of any other deals, I'm in southern Oregon but willing to travel.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/329102585165035/

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really good looking truck with a lot of nice custom touches. Somebody definitely cared about that truck to put all those extras and a brand new engine into it. The posting doesn't say whether it's normally aspirated or turbo'd. If it's not boosted I believe you will have a really tough time pulling a two car trailer around the Northwest.

Just my opinion, but if you want to haul that heavy with an IDI I'd definitely want a 7.3 with enough boost to necessitate an intercooler. That dually that just sold down in Arkansas would have been a great candidate at 1/3 of the price of this truck in Lapine.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It looks like a really nice and well taken care of truck.I personally think that $10,000 is a crazy number for an idi.I realize that it's had a lot of work done,but you can get a nice crew cab idi for that or less.BUT,it will be your truck so it's your descision.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a really good looking truck with a lot of nice custom touches. Somebody definitely cared about that truck to put all those extras and a brand new engine into it. The posting doesn't say whether it's normally aspirated or turbo'd. If it's not boosted I believe you will have a really tough time pulling a two car trailer around the Northwest.
I'll second this. As good as it looks, without a turbo, I'd have an extremely hard time justifying the $10,000 price. especially seeing what you're wanting to do with it. As much as I love the IDIs, I'd be looking at an OBS PSD before I'd be looking at buying this truck. One of those would do what you're wanting it to do and you could probably get it for the same or less money.

heybuddy

Reaction score
Diesel D, the 1234 price is because FB won't always let you list the price you want.

I live near this truck. I have a '86 F250 with the natural 6.9. Very reliable and love the truck overall, however, you will suffer great pain when trying to pull your single, double or any trailer up any hill. You'll have torque all day long, but you'll climb hills at 10, 20, 30mph depending on the hill and load. Lesser men would be embarrassed, me? I just keep pushin coal. BTW, $10k is too much.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm reevaluating my upcoming purchase. I want an idi because I loved my last one, but for my towing needs I started to look at 7.3 powerstrokes and early duramaxs.

Edit: I dont mean to derail this thread from idi discussion, but what's your opinion on this truck? Seller says injectors were done for the recall and again 30k miles ago.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1801494583341838/

Last edited:

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, I'd never buy a truck with 2WD.....but that's just me.....
Normally I wouldn't. I used to get into lots of low traction situations. But what I have planned for this truck is all highway and pavement. I could put a winch on it just in case.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
That is also a very high price for a 2wd chevy truck with over 160k miles,besides the fact that he says it rarely tows trailers,yet he has a bunch if pictures of it doing so,and says it will tow anything and beat competitors.kind of sketchy but you can find a way better truck for 10k and something other than a Chevy :Thumbs Up

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that '01 is one of the "bad years" as Duramax guys put it (I thought they were all bed years since it's a Chevy but what do I know?). I agree that it seems kind of steep. 4X2, bed damage, plus an almost completely useless bed. These are big negatives to me. I can understand the recalled injectors, but why did the replacements only last for 130,000 miles? Aren't these injectors supposed to be much longer lasting than ours? $2000 for that front bumper? That seems steep as well, but maybe not. It may have cost $2000 when new, but that doesn't mean that it's still worth $2000 today, At a glance, it looks like that bumper's been on there for a while. The paint on it looks like it's faded.
Now don't mistake what I said about towing with an IDI. If you get a good truck and set it up right, that old IDI will be able to tow just fine. I just meant that I'd spend $10,000 on a newer truck before I'd buy the posted IDI truck for that.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really good looking truck with a lot of nice custom touches. Somebody definitely cared about that truck to put all those extras and a brand new engine into it.

Yeah. It's a really nice IDI with custom everything. I dig all the features, but ultimately it comes down to how much people are willing to pay for it. Sadly, all of us put in a lot of work into our IDI's, but when it comes time to sell, we just have to accept most of that work won't pay off.

$10K for a NA is way too much. Offer him $6K cash and he'll be upset, but probably take it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yeah. It's a really nice IDI with custom everything. I dig all the features, but ultimately it comes down to how much people are willing to pay for it. Sadly, all of us put in a lot of work into our IDI's, but when it comes time to sell, we just have to accept most of that work won't pay off.

$10K for a NA is way too much. Offer him $6K cash and he'll be upset, but probably take it.
Now that would be a MUCH better deal. Then you would have $4000 left over to upgrade the fuel system and put a turbo on there.
You're right. People don't realize that they're not going to get every dollar spent on a vehicle back out of it when they sell it (except for maybe a few rare exceptions). "New tires and rims" don't add much to the overall value of a vehicle despite what they just cost you. "New engine" doesn't automatically add the entire cost of the new engine plus the labor to install it to the vehicle either. All that does is to add a little bit to the value. What most people don't realize is that most vehicles without an engine aren't worth much more than scrap price to most people. These are just a couple of examples of things that people like to push in their advertisements thinking that they've really got something special. Just ask them how much value these "custom" goodies will be added by Kelly Blue Book or NADA. It doesn't matter how much money the extras cost, banks only go "by the book" from my experience.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that would be a MUCH better deal. Then you would have $4000 left over to upgrade the fuel system and put a turbo on there.
You're right. People don't realize that they're not going to get every dollar spent on a vehicle back out of it when they sell it (except for maybe a few rare exceptions). "New tires and rims" don't add much to the overall value of a vehicle despite what they just cost you. "New engine" doesn't automatically add the entire cost of the new engine plus the labor to install it to the vehicle either. All that does is to add a little bit to the value. What most people don't realize is that most vehicles without an engine aren't worth much more than scrap price to most people. These are just a couple of examples of things that people like to push in their advertisements thinking that they've really got something special. Just ask them how much value these "custom" goodies will be added by Kelly Blue Book or NADA. It doesn't matter how much money the extras cost, banks only go "by the book" from my experience.

very very true. I just picked up another late 90's TDI. I've been wanting a block so I could rebuild it as a backup for my current TDI which is at 370K mileage. The seller wanted the upper bound of KBB (around $3K) for his whole car. While the car was rustfree, it was not "mint." I said I'm literally only buying this for the engine, so I'm offering a few hundred bucks. He got upset and I gave him my contact info. I knew no one was going to pay his number, let alone "good" or "fair" KBB prices. The demand here in L.A. for TDI's dropped to nil after Dieselgate.

After three months of no takers, he was getting desperate. He dipped to $2500, and $2100. He reached out to me to see if I'm interested in $1700, and I still turned it down. He didn't realize this TDI had non-CA emissions and it would take some work to register and inspect it here in CA. People were not interested in the TDI, even though he did a bunch of decent engine work on the TDI and put in something like $3000 in TDI parts on the vehicle in the last 2 years (receipts as proof).

Eventually I got it for my original asking price because he wanted it gone before he had to pay for another month of garage parking. Also, he couldn't get it started because of an IP issue and dead battery. He was upset because he put so much money in that car but didn't get any of that money back. That's just how it goes. You can toss so much money at a vehicle, but you probably won't get any of that back when you sell.

I had the TDI towed to my garage, and within 45 minutes I had boosted the battery, jumped the fuel solenoid, installed a clean fuel filter, and purged the air from the injector lines. Got it running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online