What do you add to your diesel when filling up?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Walmart TC-W3 two-stroke/two-cycle oil in the gallon-jug mixed one-ounce per gallon of fuel is the best fuel lube you can use, PERIOD.

One must be very careful using ATF in a fuel system; most types of ATF contain abrasive additives to make the transmission operate = not something you want in your injection-pump.

What he said.

TC W oil is cheap works great. The new ATF has many additives that don't like to be burned.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been using the WalMart Super Tech ashless 2-stroke, and Castrol low-ash 2-stroke oil, both at 1:100 (both are TC-W3). I bought the Castrol because it was on sale just to compare the two.
EDIT: the castrol is actually their "super 2-stroke motor oil", normally recommended at 1:50, and it says "non-NMMA type lubricant". I haven't got the foggiest what that means.

That note about varnish and soot buildup got me thinking, though, although especially the ashless type is supposed to minimize that. Would that be evident on the glow plugs too? I mean, the injector shoots right at the plug, doesn't it? I just replaced my glowplugs, and the old ones certainly had some soot and carbon on them, are they supposed to be squaky clean?

They shouldn't be squeeky clean ( a normal haze is acceptable for a healthy engine ), but if covered with soot and carbon, that is a sign of excesive oil being burned, I.e. catch 22 for the tc-w3 2 stroke oils. If you were'nt burning that stuff, y[u would need to be concerned about blowby oil consumption or valve guides etc causing it. I do hope that you took a pistol bore brush or similar and cleaned out the glow plug holes while the plugs were out, or that carbon buildup may become problematic in the future.

swuchase1

Reaction score
i also run ATF i was advised by someone (sorry i cant give credit cant recall who it was)the red die could be problem with police if i was checked for off hwy diesel i still run ATF but it is something to think about. mine runs better with it

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i also run ATF i was advised by someone (sorry i cant give credit cant recall who it was)the red die could be problem with police if i was checked for off hwy diesel i still run ATF but it is something to think about. mine runs better with it

You betcha that red can get you in trouble. Even Byrds red stuff fuel additive that's been around forever, is no longer red because of that. It's clear now. Kind of seems strange to pick up a bottle of the stuff and it not be red anymore after all these years.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Does the DOT check for just the color or does that dye react with the dipstick, like litmus paper or something

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the DOT check for just the color or does that dye react with the dipstick, like litmus paper or something

I have witnessed fuel compliancy checks and they have nothing at all to do with the D.O.T.

The Department of Revenue is who investigates improper fuel usage.

They don't tell you anything at the time of inspection.

What is done :

A road-block is set up, usually on a bridge.

Not all diesel vehicles are stopped, but a representative portion; maybe every third blue truck, or every fifth white one.

Your driver's license number, V.I.N. number, and license tag number are recorded.

A siphon tube is inserted into each tank and a sample of fuel drawn.

This sample is placed in a clear plastic sample-bag, much like those used in the milk-hauling industry.

A number tag from the paperwork that has your information is affixed to these sample-bags.

The samples are taken to a lab and analyzed.

You are told to drive safely and sent on your merry way.

Months later, either you hear nothing at all, or someone knocks at the door with a warrant.

At least that is how it is done around my area. ;Really

gatorman21218

Reaction score
well they're not gonna get me for the dyed fuel but they will probably get me for my lack of a muffler

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have witnessed fuel compliancy checks and they have nothing at all to do with the D.O.T.

The Department of Revenue is who investigates improper fuel usage.

They don't tell you anything at the time of inspection.

What is done :

A road-block is set up, usually on a bridge.

Not all diesel vehicles are stopped, but a representative portion; maybe every third blue truck, or every fifth white one.

Your driver's license number, V.I.N. number, and license tag number are recorded.

A siphon tube is inserted into each tank and a sample of fuel drawn.

This sample is placed in a clear plastic sample-bag, much like those used in the milk-hauling industry.

A number tag from the paperwork that has your information is affixed to these sample-bags.

The samples are taken to a lab and analyzed.

You are told to drive safely and sent on your merry way.

Months later, either you hear nothing at all, or someone knocks at the door with a warrant.

At least that is how it is done around my area. ;Really

They don't go quite so high tech everywhere. Around here, it's a visual. They especially like to setup on Tuesday since that's sale day at the auction barn and all the farmers come to town loaded for bear with all their duallys and big stock trailers and they'll setup on one or more of the roads heading out of town and start dipping and if it's red, you're dead :eek: It's fine now try to prove your way our of it later. You have the right to appeal it and supposedly get it tested, but like most things here in kangaroo court land, don't hold your breath. You're better off just not having anything red in there in the first place.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if you had locking gas caps and refused the illegal search and seizure?Just cause your on the highway in a diesel doesn't mean your constitutional rights are nullified and void!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if you had locking gas caps and refused the illegal search and seizure?Just cause your on the highway in a diesel doesn't mean your constitutional rights are nullified and void!

Just exactly how long have you lived in the south and you really think you're going to get away with that...without getting anally probed with a double barelled shotgun :eek::fan::rotflmao

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Just exactly how long have you lived in the south and you really think you're going to get away with that...without getting anally probed with a double barelled shotgun :eek::fan::rotflmao

Problem lies that when your a commercial rig owner you have already signed away the right to searchs as part of the license....as a PRIVATE run vehicle.AKA non-Commercial.....still falls under search and seizure.Just like they have to ask you to search your vehicle at a traffic stop and they can't do a damn thing if you say NO without "REASONABLE" suspicion....

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of different ideas. I run in a cold climate, so lubricity & cetane boost are what I'm looking for. I have switched to Opti-Lube. I cannot find much empirical evidence other than that test they mentioned. I would like to see such a test. I did find one: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/index.html. Take a look. If anyone has any more to say, I'd like to hear it. This test is not definitive, but I'm really looking for the best, cost effective additive. I am considering running a small amount of straight vegetable oil each tank, but I'm concerned about gelling in the lines.