what can go wrong with these transmissions?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking the towtruck up to Napa this evening for this one.
yes, I am a cheap *******.

1998 VW Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel), 5 speed - $950 (napa county)

Date: 2011-11-21, 9:34PM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
I am selling my 1998 VW Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel) 5 speed manual transmission, 4 doors, about 190k miles. This has been a good car for me for the last 3 years, but now it has some issues and would not be worth it for me to fix it. Here are the bad things about it: The gas pump has to be rebuilt, according to the mechanic this could cost about $1200. Also the transmission needs some work. The AC is not working and needs new tires. Here are the good things: the engine and the turbo are in great strong shape, the body is in good condition too, the inside is clean, all electrical parts and windows work, etc. This could be a good car for parts or a good project for somebody who is mechanically inclined. I have all the receipts and have done all the proper maintenance. The car needs to be towed. Thank you for looking. Have a good day.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2715060744

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard the 5 spds are indestructible, maybe just a clutch job? I dont know what he means by the fuel pump or as he calls it gas pump lol, id jump on tdiforum and see if you could do a little quick research. Id be going over to take a look at it asap.

-Jordan-

I'm thinking about taking the towtruck up to Napa this evening for this one.
yes, I am a cheap *******.

1998 VW Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel), 5 speed - $950 (napa county)

Date: 2011-11-21, 9:34PM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
I am selling my 1998 VW Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel) 5 speed manual transmission, 4 doors, about 190k miles. This has been a good car for me for the last 3 years, but now it has some issues and would not be worth it for me to fix it. Here are the bad things about it: The gas pump has to be rebuilt, according to the mechanic this could cost about $1200. Also the transmission needs some work. The AC is not working and needs new tires. Here are the good things: the engine and the turbo are in great strong shape, the body is in good condition too, the inside is clean, all electrical parts and windows work, etc. This could be a good car for parts or a good project for somebody who is mechanically inclined. I have all the receipts and have done all the proper maintenance. The car needs to be towed. Thank you for looking. Have a good day.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2715060744

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Havent heard any problems with the tranny's themselves unless you get into high power applications.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
+1 My bet is that it needs a clutch/throw out bearing.

I have heard of the shift linkage getting out of adjustment...

Mine has 143K and is just perfect for this cheap *******...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Calvin!!!

Next time you find something like that car, snag it for me...

My daughter needs a car and I don't believe in buying kids new cars!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7