What are the differences between a first gen PSD & the 99+?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Hey,

Hopefully as of the end of this coming week, I will be the new owner of a 97 F-350 CC LB SRW PSD. Almost 96K on the ticker. I want to pump up the motor a bit over time but I'm going to make sure it's healthy prior to that this time around. Did things a bit a$$ backwards with the 03 & paid for it dearly.

I know they are basically the same minus the IC, but what are the major differences? I'd like to sorta mirror what I did on the 03 because I was getting great MPG with plenty of power for pulling the 5'er, but may not need injectors. Basically, I'm thinking gauges, intake, exhaust & chip. I had Beans Stage 1 injectors in the 03 only because the stock one were shot. At 96K I'm hoping to not need them. As soon as I get it, it's going to Ford to have it gone over front to back.

So, what is different? Thanks.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
OBS has a nonwastegated turbo with a 1.15 A/R housing
SD has a wastegated turbo with a .85 housing
OBS has single shot injectors.
SD has split shot injectors, which are quieter and supposedly cleaner.
(NOTE: Some 97's had split shots, depending on if it was a Cali model)
The HPOP on the OBS isn't as juiced as the SD.
OBS has a mechanical lift pump.
SD has an electric lift pump.

Can't think of much more.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
the only thing I can add to that is the UVC harnesses are different betweent the 2. OBS has 2 connectors and 2 UVC hanesses per side SD has only 1 per side.
Ken

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score

OK. I knew about some of that & shoulda mentioned that but thanks. I had a 1.0 housing & single shots in the SD. Is it worth doing anything to the HPOP for better MPG? Also, I have seen alot of for sale listings over the last few weeks which state the vaccum pump has been replaced. Not to sound stupid but where & what is it (for)? Where is the lift pump on the OBS? What is the replacement time frame for those? I'll be at 96K & it probably hasn't been done.

the only thing I can add to that is the UVC harnesses are different betweent the 2. OBS has 2 connectors and 2 UVC hanesses per side SD has only 1 per side.
Ken
Thanks. Thought they would be one per side like the SD.

I guess the more appropriate question would be: after the evaluation by ford, what should be replaced at 100K from a reliabilty standpoint.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
, I have seen alot of for sale listings over the last few weeks which state the vaccum pump has been replaced. Not to sound stupid but where & what is it (for)? Where is the lift pump on the OBS? What is the replacement time frame for those? I'll be at 96K & it probably hasn't been done.

Thanks. Thought they would be one per side like the SD.

I guess the more appropriate question would be: after the evaluation by ford, what should be replaced at 100K from a reliabilty standpoint.

Scott, The lift pump is down deep in the valley....behind the fuel bowl and just under the front of the turbo pedestal...

OBS PSD used the same style of belt driven vac pump as the serpentine belt IDI's...for the same reason---brakes!

As far as what to replace ---depends on the PO :dunno

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
intakes are smaller injectors are smaller vacuum brakes instead of the hydro boost drums on the rear and Ihaven't had a SD long enough to know but on the obs it seems idler bearings start going out around 100k and the vacuum pump like stated and the cps at any time. The fuel bowl heaters are different and are much more prone to shorting out and leaving you dead in the water

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

so which turbo is better?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic, what ever happened to "cackle"? That was all the rage on the OBS trucks was it not?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cackle was a problem on the 99-ups due to the dead end fuel system(no return lines)the hpops are the same from 96-03 unless you get the ****** pump wich puts out a bit more than a stocker.94.5-95 had a check valve in the hpop itself,96-up do not.

no matter what you do you will only see a 75HP increase untill you upgrade injectors.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
OK that pretty much answers my question. It'll take a while but I'll get around to doing all the same stuff I did to the 03. We start pulling the 5'er around at the end of this month so I gotta prioritize what gets done & in what order. Hitch & suspension work/air bags first. Then we tinker.....:angel:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think that the late 99 and newer 7.3 pistons are the compacted moly something or other.. from what i have heard all over you want to avoid those

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think that the late 99 and newer 7.3 pistons are the compacted moly something or other.. from what i have heard all over you want to avoid those

nope.its the rods in the SD's.IIRC somewhere in '02 they went to powdered metal rods.over 400HP at the wheels and you snap the rods.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic, what ever happened to "cackle"? That was all the rage on the OBS trucks was it not?

I have never heard an engine do that. I think too many yuppy types where buying diesels because they where the "cool" thing to have for a while. These people never had any experience with a disel and had no idea they where louder than gas engines. I had someone bring me a truck when I was still turning whrenches that they swore had it. I heard nothing out of the ordinary:dunno The closest I heard to cackle was one that hammered a little bit at idle on one cylinder. funny thing is the guy that owned that truck could have cared less. That truck had a boatload of miles on it too.
Ken

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closest I heard to cackle was one that hammered a little bit at idle on one cylinder.
Ken

thats cackle.i believe it was cylinder #8 that did it.ford has a seperate injector for that cylinder to take care of the problem.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read all of the responses, so sorry if this was already said, but the 94-97's used a MAP sensor that was frequency based (Hz) while the 99+ used a MAP that was voltage based. Not really, a big deal unless you are trying to trick the MAP sensor (the tricks that work for the 99's won't work on the OBS)
Jerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online