What’s a good EGT.. 1989 7.3

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I have an 89 7.3 and I have 3 inch straight exhaust and the injection pump turned up just a little bit. Only two flats and pulling a hill I’ll get up to around 1,150 at 65 I know aluminum melts at 1,220 so I back out of it. That’s not pulling either that’s just normal driving. What can I do to get them EGTs down a little?!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time it with a proper timing meter, then recheck egts. Get on an incline and hold the pedal to the floor for 10-20sec. Egts shouldn’t go beyond 1200* or you have too much fuel.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time it with a proper timing meter, then recheck egts. Get on an incline and hold the pedal to the floor for 10-20sec. Egts shouldn’t go beyond 1200* or you have too much fuel.
is that for all IDIs, or only NA?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always take measurements as close to the manifold as possible. I moved my pyro from inside the manifold to into a welded bung on the inlet of the crossover pipe and saw no change in temps. I wouldnt exceed 1000* with the pyro in the turbo inlet.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t check timing next check I will buy the light and box to do it I’m going to turn the pump down for now I think. And my prob for my gauge is on the driver side between the number 6-8. I have thought about getting a turbo but was told these early engines were really designed for them? Is that true or false? And thanks in advance for the information

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 88 7.3 idi in my 93 shop truck, with a factory turbo it, 150cc db2, two stages of nitrous and a single jet of water ****. The early 7.3s handle a turbo just fine, if you dont do head studs then just keep your boost below 15 psi and you will be fine.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 88 7.3 idi in my 93 shop truck, with a factory turbo it, 150cc db2, two stages of nitrous and a single jet of water ****. The early 7.3s handle a turbo just fine, if you dont do head studs then just keep your boost below 15 psi and you will be fine.

And Thewespauls truck will smack your head against the back window when he romps on it and you aren't expecting it LOL

It's a fun truck and solidified my need for a turbo on my 91.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have thought about getting a turbo but was told these early engines were really designed for them? Is that true or false?
Technically, I'm not sure that they were "designed" for a turbo, but that didn't stop the aftermarket. As long as you don't get carried away, and you keep an eye on your EGTs, then you'll be fine with your N/A engine with a turbo. An intercooler is the best thing that you can do for your turboed engine. Even better than studs (although they are probably second in line). It will help keep your EGTs down and increase your engine life. I can understand if you can't afford one, but it's a good thin to keep in mind.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ya I’m not really building the truck for pulling or anything it’s my daily driver to and from work so I really don’t know which way to go I am just worried if I don’t do something about the exhaust temps I’ll have to be rebuilding the motor.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Then it's time to turn back your fuel at the injector pump (after a timing check). There's really not a big performance advantage to turning the pump very much on a N/A engine. There's only so little air that a N/A engine can pull through it. Limited air means that the amount of fuel that you can burn is limited. Any excess, unburned fuel leads to higher EGTs.