Weird noise coming from tranny

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i am driving in any gear...lets say 3rd just for an example....and left off the go pedal i hear a slight knock from the transmission kind of sounds like metal briefly hitting metal, now if if have my hand on the stick and let off the go pedal theres no noise. Any idea what this could be? after a quick google search it seems as tho it could be my DMF? It does chatter a tad bit once and while (in neutral or as i am shifting into first or reverse) it also has a slight chatter when i shut the truck off

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if you in fact do still have the dual mass then I would be suspecting that for making the noise.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks Gary, do you think the noise is a sign that it is going to go to the crapper soon?

When it was making a chatter a while back i took it to a tranny shop just for the guys opinion he said its the DMF and it could be good for 100k or could go in 20 kms . That was about 1500km ago maybe i should buy a lottery ticket lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Theres really no way to know when its going to fail but as time goes by it will get more and more noisy. Many others here will have much more hands on experience with this dual mas than I have. Some even drill and bolt the flywheels solid so its effectively a single mass without actually replacing the dual mass. Its a money saver issue for some.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's another weird thing that happened last weekend. Went out to get some firewood, went about 13km down a fsr (decent but had its rough patches the road was a tad bit slippery so i had it in 4hi). Anyway, unloaded down a slippery grade i geared down to try and go slowly but i didnt feel the engine holding me back so i used the brakes a bit I did end up slipping a wee bit but i didnt lock the tires up or anything so it was fine. Here's the odd part coasted to the bottom and the truck wasn't moving under its own power, so i used the brakes to fully stop shift into neutral then 1st stil nothing i tried every gear. Then I shifted it into 2 hi and back into 1st and the truck went. 4hi worked normally after that. I was thinking somehow my tcase shifted itself into neutral b/c there was no grinding or anything and i felt the gear shift putting the truck in gear. At the time i was really concerned b/c i was 13 km down a logging road on a saturday with no cell service. I haven't gotten a chance to get under the truck yet to see if anything looks abnormal I just thought id post this and see if someone else has experienced this

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shifted it into 2 hi and back into 1st and the truck went. 4hi worked normally after that. I was thinking somehow my tcase shifted itself into neutral b/c there was no grinding or anything ........ I just thought id post this and see if someone else has experienced this

YES and YES...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I believe you are experiencing the same thing as me. When I am driving down the freeway and let of the go pedal suddenly, I hear the metallic "knock" you are describing. I have about 1/2" of free play in the DMF, I suspect that as the engine goes from being under load to being driven by the inertia of the truck, the "knock" is the backlash of the DMF absorbing the change.

Mine makes a lot of noise at idle, when I had the engine out I checked all the springs and everything looked to be intact, and the free play of the DMF was in spec... I imagine that there are some worn out plastic clips in there that allow the springs to hit metal-on-metal. Unfortunately I didn't have the $$$ at the time to do a SMF conversion, so I just ran it...

cookoo

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, ill have to crawl under there and take a look. If its just a mount though i dont imagine it being that bad of a job

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans mount does mysterious things. Make sure the two nuts holding it to cross me beer are tight. Wrench tight not finger tight.