Weird fuel gauge readings.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
My 99 F250 fuel gauge has been readin weird. Its almost like its really really slow at reading. One time I filled it up to a qtr tank. The next day in the mornin i start it up and it took FOREVER for the gauge to go up to 1/4 tank. I was almost to work by the time it read correctly. The low fuel light will come on at 1/8 tank the first time I drive it. Then the next time I go to drive it to lunch or somethin the light will be off even though the light should be on. There is usually an 1/8 of a tank difference in readings constantly between start ups. Im always on level ground. I go slow around corners to prevent sloshing in the tank. Atleast I think im not sloshing the tank that much. Just never had erratic readings like this. Hell it could be normal I guess since Im new to the newer trucks. One time i had almost a qtr tank left and the low fuel light was on. Do these fuel gauges get worn out or become inaccurate with high mileage?

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
most likely, a failed sending unit..
but there also could be a corrosion/resistance problem in the wiring..

you're looking at dropping the tank and manipulating the sender by hand while you watch the gauge unit.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bleendn,

I have an 03 Excursion. I do not see a descrepansy at startup, but, if I put fuel in the tank and I leave the truck running, the gauge will read correctly. But, if I turn the truck off, it does take some time for the gauge to read correctly. It will move to the correct level very slowly, if I am down around 1/4 tank and fill it, I have seen it take up to 30 minutes to register full. If I left it running and did the same thing, I can watch it move.

Also, if you have the overhead computer, it will not see the added fuel until the truck is shut off and restarted. It will also switch from MPG to Miles to go a 50 miles to empty and count it down from there. You can switch back if you like....

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea there probably isnt anything wrong with my gauge. Its just way slower than my gasser gauges or somethin. I wish i had the overhead computer that would be handy.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bleedn,

They are only "fairly" accurate in stock trim. I have checked mine against the trip computer and it is within a few tenths of a MPG. So I go with what the trip computer reads, as I know that I am fairly close. But if you turn one off, all bets are off and have heard of severe differences between the computer and actual....

BTW - If you have the trip computer they do read 0 miles to go on the readout..... that is a nerveracking experience, fortunatly it went to 0 as I pulled into the fuel station..... I do not know how much farther I could have actually gone, but the Ex is way to heavy to push.......

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. Yea im probably just nit picking. On 26 gallons of fuel i went 406miles. I think thats pretty good for a truck with over 244k on it. Thats with a few mods already that i did. Still want to try the hypertech III programmer that i got for 25 bucks. Think I will see any difference in fuel mileage? Or should i step up and get a better programmer? What yall recommend?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Fuel guage is a negative circuit, that is resistance to ground, or battery negative, which ever way you want to call it. Loose/corroded ground connections will drive you crazy.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea i checked the connection on top of the fuel tank and it was clean. I dont know. Probably just a ford thing.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep a Better Ford Idea:

You don't really need to know how much fuel you have right now do you?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
yea thats the truth. Its 3.09 here. I'd rather be payin that than regular gas since my diesel gets the best mileage out of all my vehicles besides my motorcycle and my cobra when i get the motor back in it.