Weird brake problem 89 F250

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
The parking brake is extremely simple, but it's got me scratching my head. I originally had a problem with the front brake cable hanging up and not releasing the rear brakes completely, like staying perhaps 10% engaged. I tried adjusting it and fiddling with the main return spring but it would still hang up.
So I put a new one in. That worked great for about a month, but now it's doing it again, this time much worse. You pop the brake and the pedal only comes up halfway it's totally loose, the brake light stays on, the rear brakes really grab. Like with the previous cable, it's hanging up in the sleeve where it loops around, goes through the cab floor and connects to the pedal.

It's not the pedal itself that's sticking, that's loose. It's the cable in the short section of sleeve that's stuck.

Is this a common issue with these trucks? Crappy new cable already worn out? is there a secret to these things I've never heard about?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm no expert on parking brakes and their components, but I wonder if it's getting sticky inside. I wonder if it may help to pull the cable back out and lubing it up. If you try this, use something like a dedicated cable lube or even some chain wax (both from the motorcycle/ATV world) instead of something like WD-40 or PB Blaster. Those types of products stay tacky and will attract dirt which makes your lube job a waste of time.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A silicone spray would probably work good too. I use it a lot on vinyl widow to keep them working smooth. Goes on and dries , will not collect dirt like other lubes.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible you need to replace the rear cables. They have return springs on them that could be weak.

I'd definitely try lubing the cable first though.

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
The rear cables have springs? I didn't know that. Still, the front cable has a large strong spring where it terminates with the rears, and that spring isn't strong enough to pull the cable back. I have to wonder if lubrication should be required on a new cable, but I'll give it a shot.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear cables have springs? I didn't know that. Still, the front cable has a large strong spring where it terminates with the rears, and that spring isn't strong enough to pull the cable back. I have to wonder if lubrication should be required on a new cable, but I'll give it a shot.
The springs are inside the drum where the cable attaches to the arm.

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
Hard to believe but the month old cable is shot. I pulled it out and you can barely move it in the sleeve. What crap they make these days.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way it could be the proportion valve?

They can rust up.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have a sluggish release on my Dodge parking brake cable too. (Same Bendix drums as Ford). I'm tempted to add a spring at the spreader bar on the side of the frame. I've seen this on other trucks before... not sure if it was stock on some years/models.