Weak Brakes

WVAiredales

Reaction score
What would cause, and what might be the remedy for weak brakes? Note that this only occurs when it is cold and it is first started. And by weak I mean almost nothing there, nothing. As soon as it warms up, voila I have brakes again. Disconcerting when I go to stop and it just keeps rolling

Thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the pedal really hard or soft? I would pull the rear drums off and make sure the shoes aren’t covered in gear oil that is burning off once they get hot.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I had similar issue and my drums were soaked in gear oil due to bad seal. If not check mercury on ur vaccume pump. And also condition of brake fluid. My 150 had soft pedal till it warmed up but it was just due to old black fluid lost its viscosity and then when warm would drag the brakes till it started bogging the moter down. The gear oil on these idis is more common though soaking the drums and shoes from leaking bearing seal

Bigred250

Reaction score
Make sure your belt to your vacuum pumps good and tight. I had a similar problem when I did my alternator upgrade. Pully was smaller and the loose belt didn’t catch till it heated up some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance