Water Separator Drain Intervals

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed this was posted in the 6.0L forum, and was wondering... how often should the water separator be drained in our IDIs? Personally, I've never done it... might not be a bad idea to start, eh?

What are the procedures for doing this?

Never had an issue with water in fuel... don't want to take the chance, though. The truck now sits most of the time since I don't drive it out to the trails every afternoon when I go run anymore (fuel too expensive). Trying to keep fuel tanks topped off since it the truck sits more nowadays.

Mike

darksword

Darksword
Reaction score
I did it once... developed a bad air leak never did seal up so I replaced it with a
Vormax Fuel Filter. you may have better luck. The vormax has a clear waer sep bowl and in 2 years I have never had water in it.

Just my 2cents.

Darksword

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mike-
remember you have a all-in-one water sep/feul filter. darksword had the divorced setup where the water sep is mounted on the firewall. If you have changed out your FF, you will have drained whatever water was in it too. In CA, there isn't much of a worry of water in diesel, the climate out here is moderate enough for low worries. Also, all the storage tanks are less than 5 years old. So, there is a very low chance of bugs and algae in the tank.